Forum: Ruby on Rails begginer , need help with ruby installation(cmd)

6c715ef0e73f2f2bd58b1177ebcc8ce9?d=identicon&s=25 Mohammed Rashid (mrashi12)
on 2014-08-13 13:47
I have downloaded git, ruby installer etc. I am following a tutorial on
how to installing Ruby on windows.Using cmd on Windows, After installing
devkit in the Ruby200x64 folder, I installed it successfully, created a
"testapp" folder and used the "bundle exec rails server" command and
everything shows up as it shows up on the tutorial including "Rails
applications starting in development on http://0.0.0.0:3000". However
mine shows an extra line underneath that says it is listening to every
server conditioner using 127.0.0.1 binding option. Now when he runs it
in the tutorial "localhost:3000" on the address bar works. On mine, it
does not. I am at the very last part but stuck for hours. Somebody
please help!
F7141e066d691d7f18765c1ea6389b18?d=identicon&s=25 Serguei Cambour (javix)
On Wednesday, August 13, 2014 1:48:16 PM UTC+2, Ruby-Forum.com User
wrote:
> does not. I am at the very last part but stuck for hours. Somebody
> please help!
>
> --

Yo say

> ..created a "testapp" folder and used the "bundle exec rails server"
> command ...

You should create a Rails application by running:

rails new your_rails_app_name

Then navigate to the created Rails app in Windows command prompt
(terminal):

cd path/to/your_rails_app_name

And only now you should execute in the terminal:

rails s

and navigate to http://localhost:3000 in your browser.

See Rails Guides <http://guides.rubyonrails.org/> that will help you to
start.
6c49496bf110519998afa5f99cb32a8b?d=identicon&s=25 Joel Witherspoon (Guest)
I wouldn't recommend CMD on Windows. Use GITBASH instead. It works
really
well and uses *nix commands like the books. Open one GiTBash instance
for
running your Rails server and the other for any of your functions.

http://installrails.com/ really helped get me going. Don't forget your
sanity check!
I believe the problem on windows is that 'localhost' may not be bound
correctly in whatever windows uses for a hosts file. I saw some folks
having similar problems at a recent meetup but never did get a chance to
chase it down.

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 12:39 PM, Joel Witherspoon <
Existing account

No account? Register here.