Forum: Ruby on Rails helpers and plugins

First a helper...

Have a boolean field - on forms, it returns   'true' or 'false'
It would be much nicer to have it say either  'yes'  or 'no'

is there a helper for this?

Where do I find a list of helpers beyond Agile book?

Secondly, plugins...

I know that I am going to have to look at authentication mechanisms and
thought that I would play with the 'Recipes' info by Chad Fowler but I
do have LDAP and wonder if I could tap into that...where do I find
plugins?

Thanks

Craig
7ed3175d60e44aa7cb891973223e3998?d=identicon&s=25 Chad Fowler (Guest)
On 2/8/06, Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:

> Secondly, plugins...
>
> I know that I am going to have to look at authentication mechanisms and
> thought that I would play with the 'Recipes' info by Chad Fowler but I
> do have LDAP and wonder if I could tap into that...where do I find
> plugins?

Hi Craig.  What you want is not necessarily, in the Rails world,
called a "plugin".  The word "plugin" has a special meaning in
Rails-land.

I would recommend looking at ActiveLDAP
(http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-activeldap) or ruby-ldap
(http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/ruby-ldap/).  You could then follow
the authentication recipe in the book but replace ActiveRecord calls
with LDAP calls.

Chad Fowler
http://chadfowler.com
http://pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/fr_rr/ (Rails Recipes - In Beta!)
http://pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/mjwti/ (My Job Went to India,
and All I Got Was This Lousy Book)
http://rubycentral.org
http://rubygarden.org
http://rubygems.rubyforge.org (over one million gems served!)
On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 15:27 -0700, Chad Fowler wrote:
> Hi Craig.  What you want is not necessarily, in the Rails world,
> called a "plugin".  The word "plugin" has a special meaning in
> Rails-land.
>
> I would recommend looking at ActiveLDAP
> (http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-activeldap) or ruby-ldap
> (http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/ruby-ldap/).  You could then follow
> the authentication recipe in the book but replace ActiveRecord calls
> with LDAP calls.
----
gotcha - that's next week - thanks

I probably mean 'gems' and not plugins...I did notice the authentication
recipe in your Recipe book and thought it was where I was going to start
anyway...LDAP would be nice but it may be hard to work in various roles
unless ActiveLDAP has some flexibility.

Cool beans...thanks Chad

Craig