Forum: Ruby on Rails How to install RailsCron?

548240c1431285c235ecf711293a7311?d=identicon&s=25 Yash (Guest)
I would like to start running a background procedure once a user logs in
to his account on the website. For this I am considering using the
RailsCron object. However, I am not able to download it. I am new to
Rails. Can someone give me the excat command I should use to get
RailsCron?

Can someone suggest a better way of running a procedure in the
background?

Thanks
-Yash
5ceea097a3b29cb6a5da6705926410f4?d=identicon&s=25 Gerret Apelt (Guest)
On 2/8/06, Yash <yashgt@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like to start running a background procedure once a user logs in
> to his account on the website. For this I am considering using the
> RailsCron object. However, I am not able to download it. I am new to
> Rails. Can someone give me the excat command I should use to get
> RailsCron?

If you're on unix and have Subversion installed,

cd $MY_RAILS_PROJECT
./script/plugin install  http://svn.kylemaxwell.com/rails_cron/trunk

Some people have been havnig problem with "script/plugin install" [1]
so if it doesnt work for yuo, use the svn client directly;

cd $MY_RAILS_PROJECT
svn co  http://svn.kylemaxwell.com/rails_cron/trunk rails_cron

If you're on windows, not sure how SVN is best worked with there.
There are GUI clients. Download one, and grab the rails_cron plugin
from the URL shown above.

Once you've got the plugin, read the README file.

> Can someone suggest a better way of running a procedure in the
> background?

RailsCron is by far the easiest way that I know of to get started with
running regularly recurring background tasks.

cheers
Gerret

[1] http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/53761#31279
On 2/8/06, Yash <yashgt@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like to start running a background procedure once a user logs in
> to his account on the website. For this I am considering using the
> RailsCron object. However, I am not able to download it. I am new to
> Rails. Can someone give me the excat command I should use to get
> RailsCron?
>
> Can someone suggest a better way of running a procedure in the
> background?

The following assumes that you're running on Windows.  If you're using
something else, let me know and I'll revise the instructions.

Before you start, you will need Subversion installed. Even if you
don't use it to manage your projects, the Rails plugin installer uses
it.
Get the Windows installer here, if you don't already have it.
http://subversion.tigris.org/files/documents/15/29...

1. Open a command session by running 'cmd' (via Start -> Run)
2. Change to the root of the project that you'd like to install
RailsCron into.
(I will assume this is c:\rails\your_app)
3. Once your prompt looks like: C:\rails\your_app>
Type:
ruby script\plugin install http://svn.kylemaxwell.com/rails_cron/trunk/

You should see something like this:
A    C:\rails\your_app\vendor\plugins\rails_cron\LICENSE
A    C:\rails\your_app\vendor\plugins\rails_cron\init.rb
A    C:\rails\your_app\vendor\plugins\rails_cron\tasks
A    C:\rails\your_app\vendor\plugins\rails_cron\tasks\startup.rake
A    C:\rails\your_app\vendor\plugins\rails_cron\lib
A    C:\rails\your_app\vendor\plugins\rails_cron\lib\rails_cron.rb
C:\rails\your_app\vendor\plugins\rails_cron\lib\acts_as_background.rb
A    C:\rails\your_app\vendor\plugins\rails_cron\CHANGELOG
A    C:\rails\your_app\vendor\plugins\rails_cron\README
Checked out revision 25.

The RailsCron plugin is now installed.  To remove it later, type:
ruby script\plugin remove rails_cron