Forum: Ruby on Rails [kind of OT] Software Remote connect to MacOS ?

91eb330fb36d1e03c856574dfb77d2bc?d=identicon&s=25 Thibaut Barrère (Guest)
Hi

sorry for the slighty out of topic question but I'm sure someone here
will
be able to answer.

Does anyone use some kind of remote connection to connect to MacOS ? I'm
thinking of using VNC but I'd love to hear from other (especially
secure)
alternatives.

I'm just fond of textmate, I have a dell laptop which I'd like to use as
terminal.

kind regards

Thibaut
Thibaut Barrère wrote:
> Hi
>
> sorry for the slighty out of topic question but I'm sure someone here
> will be able to answer.
>
> Does anyone use some kind of remote connection to connect to MacOS ? I'm
> thinking of using VNC but I'd love to hear from other (especially
> secure) alternatives.
OSXvnc works fine for me...
On 08 Feb 2006, at 11:46, Alex Young wrote:

> Thibaut Barrère wrote:
>> Hi
>> sorry for the slighty out of topic question but I'm sure someone
>> here will be able to answer.
>> Does anyone use some kind of remote connection to connect to
>> MacOS ? I'm thinking of using VNC but I'd love to hear from other
>> (especially secure) alternatives.
> OSXvnc works fine for me...

Other solutions available are Timbuktu Pro (http://www.netopia.com/
software/products/tb2/multi/), it's not free, but you can tunnel it
over SSH. You could actually do the same for VNC, just tunnel it
through SSH and you should be ready to go.

Another option would be to use a VPN connection. These should be
quite secure and from my personal experience, remote access
applications are a bit snappier when run over VPN too (don't ask me
why). Remote Access solutions for the Mac sadly never get the
performance you get from Terminal Services or FreeNX.

If you want to run multiple OS X remote sessions on one Mac, you'll
need to create a few accounts, run OSXvnc on each account (use fast
user switching, make sure they are all logged in) and host each
OSXvnc on a different port. It has some quirks, but it works... kind of.

Best regards

Peter De Berdt
91eb330fb36d1e03c856574dfb77d2bc?d=identicon&s=25 Thibaut Barrère (Guest)
Hi

thanks for those replies, they put me on the right path. After your mail
I've searched for OSXvnc (which I didn't know so far), the faq are here
http://www.redstonesoftware.com/vnc.html#download and they explain how
use SSH and multiple sessions.

thanks! (and what a nice list we have here)

Thibaut
--
[blog] http://www.dotnetguru2.org/tbarrere
On 08 Feb 2006, at 13:58, Thibaut Barrère wrote:

> Hi
>
> thanks for those replies, they put me on the right path. After your
> mail I've searched for OSXvnc (which I didn't know so far), the faq
> are here http://www.redstonesoftware.com/vnc.html#download and they
> explain how to use SSH and multiple sessions.
>
> thanks! (and what a nice list we have here)

I must add I'm unable to use my AZERTY keyboard with Chicken of the
VNC (and other OS X VNC clients), I have to set my system's keyboard
layout to American QWERTY in order for the mapping to be correct.
Since your name looks pretty French to me, you might run into the
same problem.

Best regards

Peter De Berdt
91eb330fb36d1e03c856574dfb77d2bc?d=identicon&s=25 Thibaut Barrère (Guest)

> I must add I'm unable to use my AZERTY keyboard with Chicken of the
> VNC (and other OS X VNC clients), I have to set my system's keyboard
> layout to American QWERTY in order for the mapping to be correct.
> Since your name looks pretty French to me, you might run into the
> same problem.

Well I'm quite French yes :) Thanks for the update, I'll have a try a
keep
the list posted.
75ba8cc30aed7b9df578d98ebdcf8491?d=identicon&s=25 Brian Ketelsen (bketelsen)
on 2006-02-08 15:48
> OSXvnc works fine for me...

Tiger and (maybe) Panther have built in VNC support, no additional VNC
Server required.

Open up System Preferences, Sharing, check Apple Remote Desktop, then
check VNC Viewers May Control Screen with Password (and enter a good
password there).  then make sure port 5900 is open on your mac and any
firewall between you and the world.  Et le voila!

Brian
Brian Ketelsen wrote:
>> OSXvnc works fine for me...
>
> Tiger and (maybe) Panther have built in VNC support, no additional VNC
> Server required.
>
> Open up System Preferences, Sharing, check Apple Remote Desktop, then
> check VNC Viewers May Control Screen with Password (and enter a good
> password there).  then make sure port 5900 is open on your mac and any
> firewall between you and the world.  Et le voila!
Ooh!  Nice :-)  I had no idea it had VNC tucked in there...  Will have
to give that a try.
On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 15:48 +0100, Brian Ketelsen wrote:
> > OSXvnc works fine for me...
>
> Tiger and (maybe) Panther have built in VNC support, no additional VNC
> Server required.
>
> Open up System Preferences, Sharing, check Apple Remote Desktop, then
> check VNC Viewers May Control Screen with Password (and enter a good
> password there).  then make sure port 5900 is open on your mac and any
> firewall between you and the world.  Et le voila!
----
umm...that's not encrypted is it?

Craig