Forum: Ruby ONLamp tutorial install issue (mysql gem)

40a55edfc053a5fd4dd966389a7c675a?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
Hi all,
   I have downloaded and installed Ruby on Rails and started on the
ONLamp tutorial (cookbook), all went well and RoR installed OK. My
installation of MySql gem file failed with error:
ERROR:  Error installing gem mysql[.gem]: ERROR: Failed to build gem
native extension.
Gem files will remain installed in
C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7 for inspection.
  ruby extconf.rb install mysql\nchecking for mysql_query() in
mysqlclient.lib... no
checking for main() in m.lib... yes
checking for mysql_query() in mysqlclient.lib... no
checking for main() in z.lib... no
checking for mysql_query() in mysqlclient.lib... no
checking for main() in socket.lib... no
checking for mysql_query() in mysqlclient.lib... no
checking for main() in nsl.lib... no
checking for mysql_query() in mysqlclient.lib... no

Background info:
     Windows XP
     Ruby 1.8.4 installed OK
     MySQL 2.7 gem
     MySQL 5.0.18 installed OK (I created tables, inserted data, all
OK) directory is C:\ent\mysql
     Ruby on Rails 1.0 installed OK

After installing MySQL from installer, I noticed that MySQL did not
install a /lib and /include directories. I then downloaded the zip
version of MySQL which contained these diectories and added them, all
to no avail - I still get the error above.

BTW I have dowloaded the gem file and run it from a 'temp' directory. I
have tried running ruby extconf.rb with various options, all with not
luck

Any ideas ?
( I am going to download InstantRails and try that - whilst I am a big
fan of Ruby this whole RoR install/demo process needs more polishing)

If i have missed anything out, I am happy to give more details.

Regards,
Serge
4ff2bddc186b0599c01fc20a4ad738ac?d=identicon&s=25 charlie bowman (Guest)
on 2006-02-07 16:46
There is a known bug that causes this to happen of Fedora core 4.  I
can't remember the exact method to fix it or the exact link of the
tutorial on how to fix it, but you can google it.  I know the solution
is on ocforums.com
C475cffda1800fbc3f3af17bc10c220f?d=identicon&s=25 Curt Hibbs (Guest)
You don't need to install the MySQL gem at all (at least not for going
through the tutorial). Rails comes with a pure-Ruby interface to MySQL
that works just find for development (and even low volume production).
The gem just gives you a faster C-based version of the driver.

Also, you might want to consider trying Instant Rails and its "port"
of the ONLamp tutorial to be Instant Rails specific:

   http://instantrails.rubyforge.org/

Curt
40a55edfc053a5fd4dd966389a7c675a?d=identicon&s=25 SergeM (Guest)
   I am not sure what the problem, but I downloaded RADRuby Eclipse
plugin and recreated the tutorial, and it worked fine. I will
investigate to see what the problem was.

  I appreciate all the prompt responses to my question.

Regards,
Serge
Abb1e165fea29aa8eedcb496294b266b?d=identicon&s=25 Meiao (Guest)
mysqlclient.lib was not found
it comes with mysql or development packages (in some linux distros)

just install any of these, and if it still wont compile, you'll have to
set some parameters (--with-mysql=/path/to/mysql, or something)

Meião
09f354ff8f89137ee2f079621b571d7e?d=identicon&s=25 Christian Cantrell (Guest)
I'm trying to use the unnormalize method of the Text class in the
REXML module to un-escape some XML, but I'm getting this error:

/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/rexml/text.rb:304:in `unnormalize': private
method `gsub!' called for #<REXML::Text:0x10aeb80> (NoMethodError)

The code for the unnormalize method looks like this:

def Text::unnormalize( string, doctype=nil, filter=nil, illegal=nil )
   rv = string.clone
   rv.gsub!( /\r\n?/, "\n" )

Any ideas as to why Ruby thinks gsub! is private, and why I can't
call the method?

Thanks,
Christian
2c071c9cbc79a71616ffe67dc9ab1b15?d=identicon&s=25 Christian Cantrell (Guest)
For those interested, I was passing in an instance of Text rather
than a string.  Oops.  Calling to_s solved the problem.

Christian
DÅ?a Pondelok 13 Február 2006 05:16 Christian Cantrell napísal:
> For those interested, I was passing in an instance of Text rather
> than a string.  Oops.  Calling to_s solved the problem.
>
> Christian

Weird. I'd say a Text XML node would be coercible to a String without
much
problems.  I say hint the REXML people to have Text implement to_str?

David Vallner