Forum: Ruby Intros to Python for Rubyists?

70c8da82d09d3866222976ab8978133c?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Nugent (Guest)
Hi all,

Don't worry, I'm not jumping ship, I'm just going to have to do a
project for a class in Python and I want to give myself as large an
advantage as possible.

Does anyone have any Python tutorials that explain the foundations of
the language in terms of Ruby (perhaps?) or maybe you've got a link to
a Python tutorial that you found easy to read coming from Ruby?

I ask because Python gives me ISS (Irritable Syntax Syndrome) and when
I start looking at some of the tuts on the Python site my eyes glaze
over.

Any and all help is appreciated (short of advice on getting the
Professor to switch the language to Ruby).

Thanks,
9dfe8c734b0f9b37a4e218425c0a2138?d=identicon&s=25 Gene Tani (Guest)
Daniel Nugent wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Don't worry, I'm not jumping ship, I'm just going to have to do a
> project for a class in Python and I want to give myself as large an
> advantage as possible.
>
> Does anyone have any Python tutorials that explain the foundations of
> the language in terms of Ruby (perhaps?) or maybe you've got a link to
> a Python tutorial that you found easy to read coming from Ruby?

For a while last year, everybody was blogging python vs. ruby: graham,
Fowler, Bicking, Martelli, Eckel, Bray etc.

http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Programm...
http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Programm...
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PythonVsRubyCodeExamples
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PythonVsRuby
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PythonAndRubyAreConverging
http://www.rexx.com/~oinkoink/Ruby_v_Python.html

http://blog.ianbicking.org/ruby-python-power.html
http://onestepback.org/index.cgi/Tech/Ruby/PythonA...
http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?RubyFromPython

http://reflectivesurface.com/weblog/2004/12/19/why-rails
http://www.devsource.com/article2/0,1759,1778141,00.asp
http://martinfowler.com/bliki/CollectionClosureMethod.html
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/5915

http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2005/08/27/Ruby
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2005-...

awaretek.com has 125 python tutorials, and download the free trials of
wingware and Komodo, as well as the documentation pack you get from
Activestate.  They make python as painless as possible (which isn't to
say it'll be completely intuitive).
70c8da82d09d3866222976ab8978133c?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Nugent (Guest)
Thanks Gene, there's a lot of really good info in there.
2cc864becd6b96607e1f84db921ab20d?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
About 300 tutorials on Python now...at www.awaretek.com/tutorials.html

Surely you can find a couple that suit you :-))

although I dont think any of them come at it from a Ruby point of
view...

Ron Stephens

P.S. I love Ruby.. but Python is my first love,, and you know how that
is...