Forum: Ruby Problems building binaries on OS X 10.4

629266ef4c3f1705dff4cec490c2b223?d=identicon&s=25 Eric Promislow (Guest)
This is with the Ruby that ships with 10.4 (Tiger).  We haven't tried
building our
own Ruby on this platform yet.

The problem is that the .h header files are in
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin8.0,
while the library files are bundles in
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/powerpc-darwin8.0

which makes sense.  But the extfile build system seems to look in
powerpc-darwin8.0, but not universal...  -- the RUBY_PLATFORM
var is set to "powerpc-darwin8.0".

Should we build our own Ruby?  Is there a way to configure our build
system to use /usr/bin/ruby?  What if we want to build and use a fat
ruby?

Thanks,
Eric
B33ea5c12d767bfd1253940a960274f5?d=identicon&s=25 rmagick@gmail.com (Guest)
When you (or Apple, in this case) configure and build Ruby, Ruby
records the location of its header files. If you later try to build an
extension, extconf.rb expects to find those header files in the same
place. However, Apple in its wisdom chose not to put them there.

Some folks have been satisfied to create symlinks for the header files
in /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/powerpc-darwin8.0, which works. Most folks, I
think, are simply building their own Ruby. It's not hard or
time-consuming.
629266ef4c3f1705dff4cec490c2b223?d=identicon&s=25 Eric Promislow (Guest)
The weird part of this, btw, is that this problem doesn't show up with
gcc 3.x on Tiger, but it does with gcc 4.  I have no idea why.
629266ef4c3f1705dff4cec490c2b223?d=identicon&s=25 Eric Promislow (Guest)
Thanks, rm

I agree that it isn't hard to build my own Ruby.  The problem here is
that
this is part of a large build process done by several developers on
many
machines.  So in other words, building our own Ruby should be SOP for
each new Mac we bring in.
90ebe8da17aabd36cc30d9f96a530e6f?d=identicon&s=25 James Herdman (Guest)
> Some folks have been satisfied to create symlinks for the header files
> in /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/powerpc-darwin8.0, which works. Most folks, I
> think, are simply building their own Ruby. It's not hard or
> time-consuming.

Where are the header files located generally?

James
571b69519dc3cb4a78aa80f4e645349f?d=identicon&s=25 Aaron Kulbe (Guest)
On 2/6/06, Eric Promislow <eric.promislow@gmail.com> wrote:
> powerpc-darwin8.0, but not universal...  -- the RUBY_PLATFORM
> var is set to "powerpc-darwin8.0".
>
> Should we build our own Ruby?  Is there a way to configure our build
> system to use /usr/bin/ruby?  What if we want to build and use a fat
> ruby?

during the ./configure stage, specify --prefix=/usr and it will
install in /usr/bin/ruby and replace the stock ruby.

i.e.

./configure --prefix=/usr
make
sudo make install