Forum: Ruby on Rails Dynamic Rails

E78594f1f999d1bbaaaf85ea6d8fc647?d=identicon&s=25 Mark Wales (Guest)
Has anyone out there ever created a Rails application to create new
Rails applications (with or without a database/persistent storage)??

Basically I am thinking of a Rails application that could create and
then edit the files associated with a new Rails application and possibly
provide the ability to edit controllers, views, etc. Is there anything
out there for doing this?

-Mark
6edd67c92a1dab5eb23fed79f3c18564?d=identicon&s=25 David Heinemeier Hansson (Guest)
> Basically I am thinking of a Rails application that could create and then
> edit the files associated with a new Rails application and possibly provide
> the ability to edit controllers, views, etc. Is there anything out there for
> doing this?

There's something in the works for this, yes. It's called Conductor.
No public code yet, though.
--
David Heinemeier Hansson
http://www.basecamphq.com   -- Online project management
> > Basically I am thinking of a Rails application that could create and then
> > edit the files associated with a new Rails application and possibly provide
> > the ability to edit controllers, views, etc. Is there anything out there for
> > doing this?
>
> There's something in the works for this, yes. It's called Conductor.
> No public code yet, though.

It's not Ruby, but Sybase has an interesting product called Ultralite.
While in development your use their database like normal building all
of your views, queries, stored procedures, etc. Then run a lot of test
data over it so it learns your usage patterns.

When your are ready to deploy they analyze the database usage and
generate C or Java code that implements only the features that you
use. Statistics collected from the test runs are used to generate
optimal query strategies, etc. This is not just library code strung
together, the queries and stored procedures have been turned into
actual C/Java code and compiled.

Products like this illustrate some of the advantages to different ways
of query formation. Dynamic SQL (building the queries in strings) and
parametrized queries (better, SQL strings with ? in them 'prepared' by
the db) can't be ultralite optimized. The same query as a stored
procedure can be optimized.

Could this concept be applied to Conductor?

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@gmail.com