Forum: Ruby Editor on Mac OS X

1ca94522746f7fcf4eea3d3f418d3a66?d=identicon&s=25 Dan Munk (Guest)
Hello,

I am evaluating a number of editors for my company for Rails and
utility development.  I am looking at

TextMate
SubEthaEdit
Komodo

I would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks,
Dan
78836fef96ed2521c80ddcb6cc5d709d?d=identicon&s=25 Brasten Sager (Guest)
Used all three.  TextMate, definitely.
31af45939fec7e3c4ed8a798c0bd9b1a?d=identicon&s=25 Matthew Smillie (Guest)
On Feb 4, 2006, at 1:23, Dan Munk wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am evaluating a number of editors for my company for Rails and
> utility development.  I am looking at
>
> TextMate
> SubEthaEdit
> Komodo

I've never seen the need for a company-wide standard editor.  Every
time I've had to use one, I've ended up just using emacs on the sly.

So let the coders pick what they want to use, would be my
recommendation.  You may not get a discount on a site license, but at
least a few of them would pick vim/emacs, so it'd likely even out.

Just make sure everyone knows to use spaces and not tabs, and you'll
do fine.

matthew smillie.
37a3c73ffbf864e4b28f7f2384ee12ce?d=identicon&s=25 Timothy Hunter (tim-hunter)
Dan Munk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am evaluating a number of editors for my company for Rails and
> utility development.  I am looking at
>
> TextMate
> SubEthaEdit
> Komodo
>
> I would appreciate any recommendations.

TextMate
90ebe8da17aabd36cc30d9f96a530e6f?d=identicon&s=25 James Herdman (Guest)
On 2006-02-03 20:21:25 -0500, "Dan Munk" <danmunk@gmail.com> said:

> Thanks,
> Dan

I haven't tried out Komodo, but I really like TextMate.  It's fast,
fluid, and behaves like you expect an editor to.  Although
SubEthaEdit's (hitherto "SEE") collaboration feature is great, TextMate
is faster (just watch the colourization of the souce code -- SEE is
super slow).  TextMate also allows you to hook into the underlying
terminal to script new things -- be it automated text, templates,
"snippets" or macros.

Something else TextMate does that SEE doesn't do is column editing.
VERY helpful.

For the record, I use both.  I use TextMate when doing coding on my
own, but SEE when coding in groups.  If TextMate had SEE's
collaboration feature, I'd give up SEE forever.

Good luck in making a decision!

James
C4edcb52652d2b17fe2b38ef13bae729?d=identicon&s=25 David Andrew Thompson (Guest)
I would strongly recommend Radrails. You can download the standalone
IDE here: http://www.radrails.org/

It is open source and allows for easy integration with CVS/SVN and is
backed by on the industry's most popular IDE's, Eclipse.

I tried Textmate (after all it seems everybody in the videos is using
it), but was not interested in paying for what I could get for free.
And I didn't find any feature sets over Radrails/Eclipse. In fact I
found the Radrails/Eclipse platform to be much more flexible and
backed by an open source community.

You can also set up Eclipse (http://www.eclipse.org) and simply
install the Radrails plugin. Let me know if you need help with that.

Hope this helps.

Dave

> I am evaluating a number of editors for my company for Rails and
> utility development.  I am looking at
>
> TextMate
> SubEthaEdit
> Komodo
>
> I would appreciate any recommendations.

I don't do a lot of development on OS X, but when I do I use the same
thing I use on other platforms: Emacs. On OS X, I use the GNU Emacs
21.3.50.1 binary for 10.3 that I got at

  http://webweavertech.com/ovidiu/emacs.html

The guy who compiled it (Andrew Choi) has since switched to XEmacs

  http://members.shaw.ca/akochoi-xemacs/

Both of these work fine with ruby-mode.el, which comes with Ruby.

I hope this helps,

Tim
263c952ac9b84106a82483f57bb8ac3b?d=identicon&s=25 ruben (Guest)
At Sat, 4 Feb 2006 10:53:19 +0900, Tim Heaney wrote:

> I don't do a lot of development on OS X, but when I do I use the same
> thing I use on other platforms: Emacs. On OS X, I use the GNU Emacs
> 21.3.50.1 binary for 10.3 that I got at [...]

Same here, don't work with OS X a lot, but if so, then I also use GNU
Emacs. I use the version from S. Zenitani, at the following website:

http://homepage.mac.com/zenitani/emacs-e.html

Also see the following for more information:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en/CarbonEmacsPackage

This version uses recent CVS, and comes with a number of packages.
Ruby-mode is already included and configured.

There are packages available for Tiger for both powerpc and x86 based
macs.  And there is also a build available for Panther, but not by the
original maintainer.

Thought this might be helpful for some.

ruben
9dfe8c734b0f9b37a4e218425c0a2138?d=identicon&s=25 Gene Tani (Guest)
Matthew Smillie wrote:
> > Komodo
> do fine.
>
> matthew smillie.

+1.  co-ercing, or even just *encouraging* people to use an editor
leads to tension, unless there's other requirements you didnt specify,
like source code management, GUI development, if they're also doing
python/perl, C/C++/Java or other (y'know, PHP) coding etc.

this list has noted textmate undo leaves something to be desired, and
komodo debugging rails has issues, if you "Search this Group" .  Have
you looked at Jedit also?
66247570dbe0c350a165cdabc2769ba1?d=identicon&s=25 Paul Robinson (Guest)
On 4 Feb 2006, at 12:38, Gene Tani wrote:

> co-ercing, or even just *encouraging* people to use an editor
> leads to tension,

Only if they're idiots who don't understand vim is the one and true
way. :-)

> like source code management, GUI development, if they're also doing
> python/perl, C/C++/Java or other (y'know, PHP) coding etc.

All of which can be handled with all the editors on the planet
coupled with a window on a command-line in the background.

Coders need to code in the editor they are used to, period. I want
vim (occasionally TextMate, cos hey, it's there), the next guy wants
emacs, some want TextMate 100% of the time, and they all work.

It's just that vim works better. :-)

> this list has noted textmate undo leaves something to be desired, and
> komodo debugging rails has issues, if you "Search this Group" .  Have
> you looked at Jedit also?

You know, I've never heard of a Jedit-"fan". Are there any here? I've
never dabbled with it much because it's Java and I still think of
Java as being slow and cludgy. Is it worth a play?

Incidentally, on Windows, the Cream extension of vim is truly lovely.
018f1aa74fcc154beaa6408951d10776?d=identicon&s=25 Tim Hammerquist (Guest)
Dan Munk <danmunk@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am evaluating a number of editors for my company for Rails and
> utility development.  I am looking at
>
> TextMate
> SubEthaEdit
> Komodo
>
> I would appreciate any recommendations.

Vim.

I can use the same config files on all 5 platforms I use.

The instructor of the java course I'm taking now has even tried
to frighten us into using JBuilder, saying, "Get used to
industry-standard tools before you're in over your head!"

The OSX version of JBuilder, incidently, crashes when changing
LookAndFeels.  I didn't bother to try to debug it.  I just
opened up Vim.

YMMV,
Tim Hammerquist
896cfc242a7762467c2a0b2af86598e5?d=identicon&s=25 Simon Strandgaard (Guest)
On 2/4/06, Dan Munk <danmunk@gmail.com> wrote:

> TextMate

+1
9539774fe19b5268e39ee6cf3ca19b71?d=identicon&s=25 Roustem Karimov (Guest)
On Monday, February 06, 2006, at 7:52 AM, Simon Strandgaard wrote:
>On 2/4/06, Dan Munk <danmunk@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> TextMate
>
>+1
>
>--
>Simon Strandgaard

+1

Roustem
018f1aa74fcc154beaa6408951d10776?d=identicon&s=25 Tim Hammerquist (Guest)
>>> [ something ]
>>
>>+1
>
> +1

"+1": the programmer's <AOL>
792af4d95a8ff4da442ababc0dc06423?d=identicon&s=25 Clint Checketts (Guest)

> You know, I've never heard of a Jedit-"fan". Are there any here? I've
> never dabbled with it much because it's Java and I still think of Java as
> being slow and cludgy. Is it worth a play?

I'm a jEdit fan. There are a number of plugins that make writing Ruby in
jEdit a pleasure: The Ruby Plugin, Console Plugin (for running scripts)
Project Management, FTP, XML (useful for rhtml).

Its snappy on my machine, and I run it from a jump drive (since students
are
university nomads).

-Clint
149379873fe2cb70e550c6bff8fedd0c?d=identicon&s=25 Jeffrey Schwab (Guest)
Matthew Smillie wrote:
>> Komodo
>>

> I've never seen the need for a company-wide standard editor.  Every
> time I've had to use one, I've ended up just using emacs on the sly.

Same here, except that I use Vim.

> So let the coders pick what they want to use, would be my
> recommendation.  You may not get a discount on a site license, but at
> least a few of them would pick vim/emacs, so it'd likely even out.

Yep, seconded.

> Just make sure everyone knows to use spaces and not tabs, and you'll  do
> fine.

I think I've finally been won over on that issue.  I still use tabs in
my own code, but before distributing it, I replace them with spaces.  No
one has said anything yet, but I like to think they are smiling in their
offices. :)

:set et
:%retab
Tim Hammerquist wrote:

> The instructor of the java course I'm taking now has even tried
> to frighten us into using JBuilder, saying, "Get used to
> industry-standard tools before you're in over your head!"

Vi was an industry-standard tool long before there was a JBuilder, or a
Java, or a Borland.  Vim is likely to be an industry-standard tool
longer than this professor is.
Bbd147034f04bc4f8f3c3652cd2a2194?d=identicon&s=25 Francis Hwang (Guest)
Paul Robinson wrote:
> > this list has noted textmate undo leaves something to be desired, and
> > komodo debugging rails has issues, if you "Search this Group" .  Have
> > you looked at Jedit also?
>
> You know, I've never heard of a Jedit-"fan". Are there any here? I've
> never dabbled with it much because it's Java and I still think of
> Java as being slow and cludgy. Is it worth a play?

While I wouldn't call myself a Jedit "fan", I would call myself a
satisfied user. It is a little clunky, but on a machine with decent
memory you can mitigate that. (Also dropping the theming down to Java's
somewhat ugly Metal scheme seems to make things much zippier.) The nice
thing about Jedit is that it has a ton of modules, so most of the
features you can think of, it has. They're usually not perfect, but
they're better than nothing. But then, I really do need: an integrated
FTP file browser, XML auto-completion, Ruby syntax highlighting, etc.,
etc., etc. I'm also somebody who's never really needed the full
extensibility of Emacs, so it's wasted on me. YMMV.

f.
9377764fa3b08a1c7bf702d373ee653a?d=identicon&s=25 Karl von Laudermann (Guest)
Paul Robinson wrote:

> You know, I've never heard of a Jedit-"fan". Are there any here? I've
> never dabbled with it much because it's Java and I still think of
> Java as being slow and cludgy. Is it worth a play?

Count me as another jEdit fan. It's my editor of choice for both Ruby
and Java on my home Mac.