Forum: Ruby Word Chains (#65)

The three rules of Ruby Quiz:

1.  Please do not post any solutions or spoiler discussion for this quiz
until

2.  Support Ruby Quiz by submitting ideas as often as you can:

http://www.rubyquiz.com/

3.  Enjoy!

Suggestion:  A [QUIZ] in the subject of emails about the problem helps
everyone
on Ruby Talk follow the discussion.

When someone asked for a set of exercises on Ruby Talk this week, one of
the
answers was to check out the Code Katas by Dave Thomas.  I'm a big fan
of those
problems myself, so let's do one of them.

This week's quiz is to write a program that takes two words as program
arguments.  The words will be the same length.  Please also support a -d
command-line option that can be used to switch dictionary files (one
word per
line), but it's fine to use a reasonable default for your system.

The output of your program is to be a word chain, printing one word per
line.
The first word in the chain is the first argument to the program and the
last
word is the other argument.  All other words in the chain vary by
exactly one
letter from the words surrounding it.  If a chain can not be formed from
the
arguments using the selected dictionary, print a simple error message.

Here are some sample runs of my solution, so you can see how chains
look:

	$ ruby word_chain.rb work play
	work
	pork
	pory
	pony
	piny
	piky
	puky
	puly
	paly
	paty
	katy
	kath
	hath
	hash
	pash
	push
	puss
	poss
	post
	pout
	prut
	prat
	plat
	play
	$ ruby word_chain.rb lead gold
	lead
	load
	goad
	gold
	$ ruby word_chain.rb love hate
	love
	hove
	have
	hate

Aim for the shortest paths if you can find them (the above examples may
not be
them) and fast running times.
4dae81fb68a9bfac96317a24982ce039?d=identicon&s=25 Thomas Kirchner (Guest)
* On Feb  3 23:00, Ruby Quiz (ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org) wrote:
> When someone asked for a set of exercises on Ruby Talk this week, one
> of the answers was to check out the Code Katas by Dave Thomas.  I'm a
> big fan of those problems myself, so let's do one of them.

Pardon me if I'm missing something, James, but wasn't this Quiz #44?

http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz44.html

Tom
2c51fec8183a5d21c4e11b430beabb47?d=identicon&s=25 Patrick Hurley (Guest)
déjà vu?

http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz44.html
(hope I am not violating rule #1)
On Feb 3, 2006, at 8:15 AM, Thomas Kirchner wrote:

> * On Feb  3 23:00, Ruby Quiz (ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org) wrote:
>> When someone asked for a set of exercises on Ruby Talk this week, one
>> of the answers was to check out the Code Katas by Dave Thomas.  I'm a
>> big fan of those problems myself, so let's do one of them.
>
> Pardon me if I'm missing something, James, but wasn't this Quiz #44?
>
> http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz44.html

<laughs>  Boy I'm glad some of you are paying attention, because I'm
obviously not!

Sorry, I get lots of duplicate ideas sent in.  Looks like this is the
first one I failed to catch.

I'll get a another quiz out later today...

James Edward Gray II
* On Feb  3 23:20, James Edward Gray II (ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org) wrote:
> <laughs>  Boy I'm glad some of you are paying attention, because I'm
> obviously not!

No problem - we appreciate the work you put in!  Love the quizzes, even
if I'm usually quiet about them.

> I'll get a another quiz out later today...

Shucks.  I was hoping to do this one (avoiding the summary/solution, of
course) to make up for missing the last ;)

Tom
8aab717743d4f58a4453adb8b6855e1e?d=identicon&s=25 Robert Retzbach (Guest)
Patrick Hurley schrieb:

>déjà vu?
>
>http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz44.html
>(hope I am not violating rule #1)

Haha!
The page turned!
I made once a submission to make a quiz to build regexp automatically to
match a range of numbers.
JEG2 told meto look at quiz4 ;)

errare humanum est
-
~waiting
On Feb 3, 2006, at 8:39 AM, Robert Retzbach wrote:

> I made once a submission to make a quiz to build regexp
> automatically to match a range of numbers.
> JEG2 told meto look at quiz4 ;)

My wife asked me a while back, "Hey, have you done a Su Doku quiz?"
I'm only slightly embarrassed to admit that I had to go look to
answer her.  :)

James Edward Gray II