Forum: Ruby Displaying source code of an rhtml file

88c2bb7de9c22dd0a819b8e52853af4d?d=identicon&s=25 Paul Johnston (Guest)
Hi
I'm creating some embedded ruby web pages under Linux and Apache 2.0
and after showing what it can do I like to display the source code.
I was wondering if there is an easier way to do this than what I am
doing at present. An example is where I wish to show the line
containing
%>
Obviously just trying having a rhtml  file with % at the start of a
line means it is interpreted as ruby code so at present I am using
% print "%"
&gt

This works but is a pain. Is there a way to specify to a block of
code, don't interpret this code but simple display it in the page it
came from ?
TIA
Paul
A9b6a93b860020caf9d2d1d58c32478f?d=identicon&s=25 Ross Bamford (Guest)
On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 18:13 +0900, Paul Johnston wrote:
> Hi
> I'm creating some embedded ruby web pages under Linux and Apache 2.0
> and after showing what it can do I like to display the source code.
> I was wondering if there is an easier way to do this than what I am
> doing at present. An example is where I wish to show the line
> containing

Do you mean like this?

	  <head>
	    <title>Just code</title>
	  </head>

	    <h1>Here is the code</h1>

	    <pre><code><%= ERB::Util.html_escape(File.read(__FILE__)) %>
	    </pre></code>

Alternatively, if you mean showing it in blocks you'll have to escape it
anyway, or the browsers will eat it, won't they? So just pass them
through html_escape.

Alternatively, check out Rote (http://rote.rubyforge.org) for some
ERB-based ruby-code-macro supporting syntax highlighting fun, where you
can just do:

	#:code#ruby
	class SomeClass < Other
	  def etc(&blk)
	    #...
	#:code#
Eed5c350121f8be7fc0fd9476a177943?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
I think '<%%', and possibly '%%>',  will escape the '%' in rhtml