Forum: Ruby on Rails Installation behind a proxy

432fcf0d43d64c1189d9672716ac679d?d=identicon&s=25 Ken Kousen (kousen)
Hi all,

I was a client site today on another project and we started talking
about
RoR.  I wanted to show it in action, so I downloaded the one-click Ruby
installer for Windows and then tried to do "gem install Rails
-include-dependencies".  After a time-out period I received the
following
error:

ERROR: While executing gem.(Gem::RemoteSourceException)

  Error fetching remote gem cache: getaddrinfo: no address associated
with
hostname

That brings me to question 1 (and 1a, I guess): Their site operates
behind a
proxy.  Is that the issue here?  What port does gems use, anyway?

>From the RoR web site I found that I could download the Rails distribution.
I did so and unzipped it, but - I'm embarrassed to admit this - I didn't
know what to do from there.  So, question 2 (and 2a): how could I have
installed Rails from the zip file?  Was it already installed and I
didn't
realize it?

Ultimately, I went to RubyForge and downloaded the latest gems for
actionmailer, actionpack, actionwebservice, activerecord, activesupport,
rails (natch), and rake.  Then I used gem to install them all locally.
even downloaded RadRails, since of course the Eclipse update link didn't
work either.

So, finally, question 3 (and even 3a and 3b): how much of this grand
kludge
was actually necessary?  How should I plan to handle this sort of
problem in
the future?  And what was going on that I missed?

(By the way, before anyone suggests InstantRails - which admittedly
rocks -
I tried that.  When I downloaded it, during the copy operation from a
temp
directory to C:\ the lovely Windows OS said that my disk was either
write-protected or full, neither of which was true.  I downloaded and
unzipped other files both before and after that.)

Thanks for any help,

Ken Kousen

P.S. Eventually it all worked and the client was very impressed. :-)

--

Kenneth A. Kousen, Ph.D.

President

Kousen IT, Inc.

 <http://www.kousenit.com> http://www.kousenit.com

 <mailto:ken.kousen@kousenit.com> ken.kousen@kousenit.com
Ccaa63b09f5168501b194266b9a1e7cc?d=identicon&s=25 Scott Willson (Guest)
On Feb 1, 2006, at 5:53 PM, Ken Kousen wrote:

> anyway?
>
> this sort of problem in the future?  And what was going on that I
>
> P.S. Eventually it all worked and the client was very impressed. J
>
> http://www.kousenit.com
>
> ken.kousen@kousenit.com

$ gem help install
-p, --[no-]http-proxy [URL]      Use HTTP proxy for remote operations

Or you can set the HTTP_PROXY environment variable. Gem expects an
URL with protocol. E.g.,
http://proxy.company.com:8080_____________________...
Rails mailing list
Rails@lists.rubyonrails.org
432fcf0d43d64c1189d9672716ac679d?d=identicon&s=25 Ken Kousen (kousen)
You know, I only looked at "gem help install" about a dozen times and
never
saw the -p option.

Sigh.  Live and learn, I guess.

Thanks for the info.