Forum: Ruby Job Vacancy RoR

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
27ae89225ceb86f36391528695f24e2e?d=identicon&s=25 stephen@chancellor.com (Guest)
on 2006-02-02 01:39
(Received via mailing list)
I am part of a small Agency that supplies contractors to clients. A
fairly new client in San Francisco (SOMA), needs an experienced (at
least one complete commercial project) Ruby on Rails Software Engineer.


Additionally, they are using open source development environment,
Linux, Apache, MySQL and Perl / PHP.

This is a contract position for 3 to 6 months. You need to be onsite
and will be part of a development Team. Must be eligible to work in
USA, and for this particular contract must be local to San Francisco
Bay Area.

Please refer this to anyone that you know who is not a member and may
not see it.

Also, we are very interested in new clients in need of RoR developers.
This is an exciting area and there are opportunities for everyone.

Please contact me by e-mail (Stephen AT chancellor DOT com) or call
Anthony at 415-332-0123.

Thank you, Stephen
19f65b7dca6831edf989224b5ebd3fe0?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
on 2006-02-02 02:19
(Received via mailing list)
Please use sites like monster or dice if you wish to post jobs. Some
have been
made in the past, but are usually from the originators of the people who
want
to make the actual hire.

Tsume
58479f76374a3ba3c69b9804163f39f4?d=identicon&s=25 Eric Hodel (Guest)
on 2006-02-02 21:24
(Received via mailing list)
On Feb 1, 2006, at 5:16 PM, tsumeruby@tsumelabs.com wrote:

> Please use sites like monster or dice if you wish to post jobs.
> Some have been
> made in the past, but are usually from the originators of the
> people who want
> to make the actual hire.

To be honest, I'd rather see Ruby job postings mentioned here, even
if from recruiters, than random places on the intarweb.  This allows
rubyists to be connected to people who want to employ them, which can
only be good for all rubyists.

Also, you're the first I've seen complain.

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://segment7.net
This implementation is HODEL-HASH-9600 compliant

http://trackmap.robotcoop.com
D8fb06dfc08a477ecb0a76ffdbff3475?d=identicon&s=25 Chiaro Scuro (chiaroscuro)
on 2006-02-03 02:26
(Received via mailing list)
On 2/2/06, Eric Hodel <drbrain@segment7.net> wrote:

> To be honest, I'd rather see Ruby job postings mentioned here, even
> if from recruiters, than random places on the intarweb.  This allows
> rubyists to be connected to people who want to employ them, which can
> only be good for all rubyists.
>
> Also, you're the first I've seen complain.


Totally agree with Eric.  Job postings also give a feeling of the effect
of
the community on the larger world

-- Chiaroscuro --
Bc6d88907ce09158581fbb9b469a35a3?d=identicon&s=25 James Britt (Guest)
on 2006-02-03 03:02
(Received via mailing list)
Eric Hodel wrote:
> from recruiters, than random places on the intarweb.  This allows
> rubyists to be connected to people who want to employ them, which can
> only be good for all rubyists.

I'm somewhat mixed, but it hasn't been a problem (and it seems like one
of those problems that are good to have).

If the recruiters are sincere, then feedback from the Ruby community can
help both them and job seekers by encouraging job descriptions that are
meaningful and accurate.



--
James Britt

http://www.ruby-doc.org       - Ruby Help & Documentation
http://www.artima.com/rubycs/ - The Journal By & For Rubyists
http://www.rubystuff.com      - The Ruby Store for Ruby Stuff
http://www.jamesbritt.com     - Playing with Better Toys
http://www.30secondrule.com   - Building Better Tools
Eb9493c94d8db9887e5f15284d2c767f?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
on 2006-02-03 05:08
(Received via mailing list)
In article <76A70E07-C4AF-4EEA-9779-ED9232B225A4@segment7.net>,
Eric Hodel  <drbrain@segment7.net> wrote:
>rubyists to be connected to people who want to employ them, which can
>only be good for all rubyists.
>
>Also, you're the first I've seen complain.
>

I tend to agree with Eric, though I would hope that it's hiring managers
or
people directly involved in development who are posting here as opposed
to head
hunters.

Phil
23172b6630dc631a134c9bad2fec2a39?d=identicon&s=25 ChrisH (Guest)
on 2006-02-03 16:30
(Received via mailing list)
Actaully there is a Ruby Jobs site: http://jobs.rubynow.com/
19f65b7dca6831edf989224b5ebd3fe0?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
on 2006-02-03 23:15
(Received via mailing list)
On Friday 03 February 2006 05:23 am, Eric Hodel wrote:
> only be good for all rubyists.
>
> Also, you're the first I've seen complain.
I'm just thinking ahead. I know ruby is still considered young, but once
any
other type of jobs come in, I don't want to receive 10 emails a day on a
list
from head hunters.

Also, I thought the email was spam like the idiot who kept trying to
place
head hunter listings on craig's list.. I wouldn't mind the jobs coming
from
the originators of the job, but head hunters are a negative on my list.

Tsume
66247570dbe0c350a165cdabc2769ba1?d=identicon&s=25 Paul Robinson (Guest)
on 2006-02-04 00:31
(Received via mailing list)
On 3 Feb 2006, at 22:13, tsumeruby@tsumelabs.com wrote:

> Also, I thought the email was spam like the idiot who kept trying
> to place
> head hunter listings on craig's list.. I wouldn't mind the jobs
> coming from
> the originators of the job, but head hunters are a negative on my
> list.

OT: I once came up with a business plan where a recruitment agency/
headhunting firm would be staffed entirely by techs working in the
industry checking out other people's CV's and work part-time and then
when a job came in from a firm they would be able to say "Hey, I know
this guy over at such-and-such who would be perfect, let me ask if
he's around..." and would pick up a fee, a la agencies.

That way, you'd get firms knowing they can trust the people coming
forward because they are peer-reviewed, and recruitment agencies
would not be filled with people who think UNIX are men without
testicles.

Anyway, I look for work constantly and am happy going to the websites
- I think this place should be somewhere to hide out and talk
programming, not somewhere I have to be on best behaviour.

P.S. if anybody is looking for a Ruby and/or Rails coder in the North
West of England, or in fact any European city I can get to, I have a
gap in my schedule coming up... :-)
58479f76374a3ba3c69b9804163f39f4?d=identicon&s=25 Eric Hodel (Guest)
on 2006-02-04 00:59
(Received via mailing list)
On Feb 3, 2006, at 2:13 PM, tsumeruby@tsumelabs.com wrote:
>>
>> Also, you're the first I've seen complain.
> I'm just thinking ahead. I know ruby is still considered young, but
> once any
> other type of jobs come in, I don't want to receive 10 emails a day
> on a list
> from head hunters.

I think this was the first, maybe second, job posting of the month.
While it would be wonderful, you're not going to get 10 job postings
a day any time soon.  I'm sure the list will find an appropriate
solution when job posting overload becomes a real problem.

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://segment7.net
This implementation is HODEL-HASH-9600 compliant

http://trackmap.robotcoop.com
19f65b7dca6831edf989224b5ebd3fe0?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
on 2006-02-04 01:08
(Received via mailing list)
On Saturday 04 February 2006 08:30 am, Paul Robinson wrote:
> testicles.
I'd seriously like this to be the other way around. Head hunters which
are
programmer peer reviewed! :)

>
> Anyway, I look for work constantly and am happy going to the websites
> - I think this place should be somewhere to hide out and talk
> programming, not somewhere I have to be on best behaviour.

I've never had to look/apply for a job, but I suppose other people work
differently.

>
> P.S. if anybody is looking for a Ruby and/or Rails coder in the North
> West of England, or in fact any European city I can get to, I have a
> gap in my schedule coming up... :-)
>

I don't have a problem with personal requests, but when commercial like
content starts floating to a list, I think..

"*running on horse* The capitalists are coming!"

When this happens, he means a place is no longer a heaven where
programmers
can just talk about ruby, but need to be bothered by the "norms" ;)

Tsume
19f65b7dca6831edf989224b5ebd3fe0?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
on 2006-02-04 01:23
(Received via mailing list)
On Saturday 04 February 2006 08:58 am, Eric Hodel wrote:
> I think this was the first, maybe second, job posting of the month.
> While it would be wonderful, you're not going to get 10 job postings
> a day any time soon.  I'm sure the list will find an appropriate
> solution when job posting overload becomes a real problem.

Not exactly like I can filter or redirect job mail to another box. The
job
posting count for last month is 4 from a subject grep. Only 2 of them
used
the proper subject line for a [JOB]. 1 for this month as far as I can
see. I
don't give it much more time before it really starts booming, even
though the
IRC channels are not increasing anymore, there are the people who join
on to
a... .... .... craze just for the money, there are some people who
actually
do use ruby for the religion side of the language *cough* I mean the
scientific side of the language.

Tsume
66247570dbe0c350a165cdabc2769ba1?d=identicon&s=25 Paul Robinson (Guest)
on 2006-02-04 01:38
(Received via mailing list)
On 4 Feb 2006, at 00:07, tsumeruby@tsumelabs.com wrote:

> I'd seriously like this to be the other way around. Head hunters
> which are
> programmer peer reviewed! :)

None Shall Pass. Seriously, they really don't get the work we do.
Programmers should headhunt other programmers - it's the only way it
can work. Sure, HR can make sure the guy/gal is able to dress himself
(if it's that kind of boring place where they require people to be
dressed), but the core skills just can't be grasped by RC/headhunter-
types if you ask me.

> I've never had to look/apply for a job, but I suppose other people
> work
> differently.

You're either very young, very rich, very poor and don't mind or very
lucky. :-)

I'd like not to have to look/apply for work. How'd you do it?

> I don't have a problem with personal requests, but when commercial
> like
> content starts floating to a list, I think..
>
> "*running on horse* The capitalists are coming!"

I'm British you know. And Capitalist(*). If I weren't such a nice
chap, I'd think you were mocking me. :-)

At the end of the day, we only get to write as much code as we do,
because somebody somewhere is prepared to give us the money we need
for food/shelter to write that code. I'd rather do this for a living
than, say, have to be an accountant or a management consultant. As a
short-term contract freelancer, I am looking for work *CONSTANTLY*.
Apart from the Summer when I like to try and spend my time staring at
clouds. But during the Winter, I am a code-whore, through and through.

Plus you're assuming all of us are in it just for the money - when
I'm earning, a substantial piece of my income goes to good causes.

> When this happens, he means a place is no longer a heaven where
> programmers
> can just talk about ruby, but need to be bothered by the "norms" ;)

Point taken. Like I said, I'm happy keeping my commercial discussions
away from here, and think others can be encouraged to do the same. As
long as we all know where those discussions are, which I believe
includes http://jobs.rubynow.com/

(*) I was once described as a Trotsky entry-ist, but he was drunk and
I was beating him at cards...
19f65b7dca6831edf989224b5ebd3fe0?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
on 2006-02-07 18:38
(Received via mailing list)
On Saturday 04 February 2006 09:37 am, Paul Robinson wrote:
> types if you ask me.
>

Then again, are most of those headhunter places even technologically
oriented?
From what I've seen, and from what people accept, they only look at the
qualifications and ship you out the the real employer. very insulting,
especially when you get some certified person who just went to the
technical
school down the block. I'll always remember this when I was younger. I
used
to work at a teenager facility. I was only 14 then, but they had a 34~
guy
come in and help me with the computer which were donated. I immediately
started to type `format /q /s` to start setting up the computers from
the
boot CDs. He was automatically lost on how I was beating him at setup. I
told
him the switch and he said, "They never taught us that". I told him in a
non
arrogant way.. even though I told him nicely, and don't mind being
around
people like so, I'll never hire/contract/get service from anyone who
isn't
checked out by me. The one problem being one of many which I've been
conflicted with when having to deal with people who aren't devoted and
just
do it for the money.

	You suffer from time loss. Time is money according to the people paying
you.
I certainly don't like people wasting time when they're being paid by me
each
hour. I've similar feeling about the customers I serve, and help them
with
their employees, because the boss is the one who picks up on the time.
Of
course, this is where managers are a good thing. Managers have a very
good
reason to being the asshole they're looked at to be, only because of the
asshole getting paid is playing solitaire instead of working.

> > I've never had to look/apply for a job, but I suppose other people
> > work
> > differently.
>
> You're either very young, very rich, very poor and don't mind or very
> lucky. :-)
>
> I'd like not to have to look/apply for work. How'd you do it?
>

I've too many friends in various professions who just know me well. I
perform
various tasks. I'm an extroverted nerd and proud of it.

I receive jobs which need for example, Outlook Express set up for email,
or
even a phone system reconfigured. Phone technician work is another
mastered
skill I've accomplished. I'll take and charge what I feel. I did charge
one
customer 75/USD for JUST Outlook Express setup with the internet service
provider(minimum: 1 hour). Business is business, and I don't sell myself
short. Yeah yeah.. others online who I tell think, "bastard" or "this
guy
rips people off".. I've been on the computer since I was 2, people are
paying
for my life experience. Usually people on IRC are immature anyway :P so
why
take them seriously, I just go on to trade information.

> > I don't have a problem with personal requests, but when commercial
> > like
> > content starts floating to a list, I think..
> >
> > "*running on horse* The capitalists are coming!"
>
> I'm British you know. And Capitalist(*). If I weren't such a nice
> chap, I'd think you were mocking me. :-)

Opps :)

>
> At the end of the day, we only get to write as much code as we do,
> because somebody somewhere is prepared to give us the money we need
> for food/shelter to write that code. I'd rather do this for a living
> than, say, have to be an accountant or a management consultant. As a
> short-term contract freelancer, I am looking for work *CONSTANTLY*.
> Apart from the Summer when I like to try and spend my time staring at
> clouds. But during the Winter, I am a code-whore, through and through.

Well, I keep writing and deleting the text I type... so I'll just say
different positions have different salaries.

> long as we all know where those discussions are, which I believe
> includes http://jobs.rubynow.com/
>
> (*) I was once described as a Trotsky entry-ist, but he was drunk and
> I was beating him at cards...

What I wouldn't mind is a monthly or bi-weekly job email on the list
from one
of those sites for Ruby jobs. I just don't like to see emails in my box
for
jobs. I recently started to receive emails from d1(really an i)ce.com
about
"Does your job suck?".. I just laugh. I do know how others think, but
the
email sounds so hilarious. I just couldn't bare myself to live in a
crackerbox, yet find lack of a large city inconvenient to shop for
items.
Also being in Alaska the outrageous shipping, but theres a reason I
charge
back the cost to people.

All I can say for now..

Tsume
Cb48ca5059faf7409a5ab3745a964696?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
on 2006-02-07 19:13
(Received via mailing list)
On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 tsumeruby@tsumelabs.com wrote:

> Also being in Alaska the outrageous shipping, but theres a reason I charge
> back the cost to people.

what part?  i'm a fourth generation alaskan - but in boulder, colorado
now.

regards.

-a
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.