Forum: Ruby Need help installing fxruby (gem) on gentoo

0bd11e9521d2d8fc840d0b7e17ac7cd3?d=identicon&s=25 Manuel Kasten (Guest)
Hello,

I just tried to install fxruby throug rubygems, but got the following
error (see at the end of the message for complete output):

/usr/lib64/ruby/1.8/fileutils.rb:243:
                           command not found: ruby extconf.rb i fxruby

Whats the problem? Have I done anything wrong?
I installed ruby, rubygems and libfox14-dev through portage.

Thanks for your help,
     Manuel

gentoo ~ # gem i fxruby
Attempting local installation of 'fxruby'
Local gem file not found: fxruby*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'fxruby'
Select which gem to install for your platform (x86_64-linux)
  1. fxruby 1.4.4 (mswin32)
  2. fxruby 1.4.4 (ruby)
   (...)
  22. Cancel installation
 > 2
/usr/lib64/ruby/1.8/fileutils.rb:243: command not found: ruby extconf.rb
i fxruby
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
Gem files will remain installed in
/usr/lib64/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.4.4 for inspection.
   ruby extconf.rb i fxruby\n

Results logged to
/usr/lib64/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.4.4/ext/fox14/gem_make.out
gentoo ~ #
Manuel Kasten wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just tried to install fxruby throug rubygems, but got the following
> error (see at the end of the message for complete output):
>
> /usr/lib64/ruby/1.8/fileutils.rb:243:
>                           command not found: ruby extconf.rb i fxruby
>
> Whats the problem? Have I done anything wrong?
> I installed ruby, rubygems and libfox14-dev through portage.

It might be worth trying to install from source, just to see if this is
a gem-related problem, or seomthing about fox/fxruby on your system.