Forum: Ruby on Rails Rails auth systems using LDAP?

2b2c2a705ed12f8fb327c7b4c56456c6?d=identicon&s=25 Sean Hussey (seanhussey)
Hi everyone,

Are there any Rails systems that are either:

 * Easily extensible to use a different auth store?
 * Use LDAP out of the box?

Thanks,

Sean
On 1/31/06, Sean Hussey <seanhussey@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Are there any Rails systems that are either:
>
>  * Easily extensible to use a different auth store?
>  * Use LDAP out of the box?

I'm in the middle of development on a financial app that uses LDAP for
authentication and group/role storage.  Working so far, though I'm
fairly new to the LDAP world.
One irritation is that the ruby-ldap library doesn't build on Windows.
 If anyone wants to fix that, I'd be happy to talk about paying for
that to happen.
4005a47a8f2ceee49670b920593c1d52?d=identicon&s=25 Ben Munat (Guest)
Wilson Bilkovich wrote:
> One irritation is that the ruby-ldap library doesn't build on Windows.
>  If anyone wants to fix that, I'd be happy to talk about paying for
> that to happen.

Hey that's great. You might want to repost that as a new thread and with
an appropriately
tagged subject (like "[job offer] will pay to port ldap code to windows
platform").

I think the most crucial challenge ruby/rails faces is that it is behind
the curve as far
as a solid base of utility libraries and such are concerned. And the
patronage model will
get that done faster than just wishing!

On 1/31/06, Ben Munat <bent@munat.com> wrote:
> get that done faster than just wishing!

I'm going to take one more shot at fixing the build process this week,
with my rusty C skills.  If I can't make it happen, I will definitely
take your advice.
B91e98954bc09fc208a098c8f10e4fd5?d=identicon&s=25 Jason Kraus (Guest)
Isn't there ActiveLDAP? basically lets u plugin a LDAP database as you
would
with ActiveRecord. Tweak the login generator forms around (or the
schema)
and you should be good to go. Ofcourse, nothing works as smoothly as it
does
in theory....
ActiveLDAP depends on Ruby/LDAP which doesn't compile on Win32 without
running inside Cygwin.