Forum: Ruby on Rails Need advice on RoR app design

6cf3e18ebc948992a4cbe83330496e36?d=identicon&s=25 Peter Jagielski (sweetpete)
on 2006-01-31 14:47
Fellow Railers,

Is there anything, anywhere, that I can read that discusses overall RoR
app design?  I have the Agile RoR book, which is great for learning the
details of RoR, but unfortunately doesn't cover the overall issue of
creating a large, complex RoR app.

My staff and I are still in the process of getting up to speed on Ruby
and RoR, but we also need to begin thinking about the best approach to
converting our very large and complex Win32 (Delphi) DB app over to RoR.
For (simple) example, our app currently has 42 DB tables.  Would it be
considered bad design in RoR to have 42 separate controllers, or should
we create one generic controller that handles all the basic CRUD for all
the tables?

I believe there are some new RoR books coming out later this year, which
may help, but we could really use some help *right now*.

Thanks to all who respond!

P.S. I see that the 37Signals guys are putting on a workshop where they
discuss things such as big-picture design.  Sounds like maybe something
I should attend...
8ed6d55dddf47e0974bac833f08e4390?d=identicon&s=25 Ian Harding (Guest)
This is a good question.  You probably don't want one controller for
each table.  I thought of my app in terms of the major objects that
get operated on, and created a controller for each.  That ended up
being 3, for about the same number of tables you have.

For a manufacturing app, for example, you might have controllers for
Jobs, Components, Bills of Material, Equipment, etc.

The way the scaffold is set up is pretty quickly left behind.

On 1/31/06, Peter Jagielski <pjagielski@gmail.com> wrote:
> For (simple) example, our app currently has 42 DB tables.  Would it be
> discuss things such as big-picture design.  Sounds like maybe something
> I should attend...
>
> --

"Her faults were those of her race and sex; her virtues were her own.
Farewell, and if for ever - "

-- "Travels with a Donkey in the Cevennes" by Robert Louis Stevenson
33bb150cf13d87bce4e80569ca317647?d=identicon&s=25 Siva Jagadeesan (Guest)
I would infact group those controllers in modules

For example
app/controller/blog
app/controller/forum

On 1/31/06, Ian Harding <harding.ian@gmail.com> wrote:

> > converting our very large and complex Win32 (Delphi) DB app over to RoR.
> > P.S. I see that the 37Signals guys are putting on a workshop where they

--

Rgds,
--Siva Jagadeesan