Forum: Ruby One-Click Ruby Installer 184-16 preview2 is available!

4c3511a439ed90fa012a55928a60e230?d=identicon&s=25 Curt Hibbs (Guest)
=== One-Click Ruby Installer 184-16 preview2 is available! ===

By popular demand, preview2 goes back to including SciTE as its
bundled code editor, and includes the promised upgrade of FXRuby to
1.4.4. Everything else in the preview1 announcement is still correct.

As usual, please wait for the RubyForge mirrors to synchronize before
trying to download.

Curt

== One-Click Ruby Installer 184-16 preview1 is available!  ==

*NOTE* Please wait for the RubyForge mirrors to synchronize before
trying to download.

*WARNING* This preview release for Windows is incomplete. Please read
below to find out what is missing, and don't install this if that is
not usable for you.

This is a preview release of the One-Click installer for Ruby version
1.8.4. It should be usable for most people, but it is missing a few
things that will be fixed before the final release:

  - DBI: (database interface library) is not included.

  - XMLParser: This C-based XML parser (which is an
    interface to the Expat parser) is not included
    (REXML, the pure Ruby XML parser, *is* included).

  - If you levave "Enable RubyGems" selected, the RUBYOPT
    environment variable is set to "rubygem" instead of
    having having "rubygems" added to the RUBYOPT value
    (similarly, uninstalling, deletes the RUBYOPT env.
    variable).

  - Uninstalling does not remove the start menu items.

=================

Starting with this release, I have completely rewritten the build
system for the One-Click Installer while I  repeated the mantra:
simplify, simplify, simplify... This should make it easier to release
future versions of the One-Click installer more quickly. Of course,
its possible that this could introduce new problems, so please report
them here:

  http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?group_id=16...

Of course, the big change for this release is that it uses Ruby 1.8.4.
The One-Click installer is now uses ruby-mswin32 and adds additional
extentions and applications. This means that all extension provided by
ruby-mswin32 are in the One-Click Installer. You can read about
ruby-mswin32 here:

  http://www.garbagecollect.jp/ruby/mswin32/en/

Everything has been compiled with MS VC++ 6.0.

Here are some other notable changes:

* The SciTE code editor has been replaced by Notepad++. Both
  are based on the Scintilla code editor component, but Notepad++
  is a little more full featured and supports editing multiple
  files in separate tabs.

* FreeRIDE (the Free Ruby IDE) has been updated to 0.9.5 and now
  features real project support.

* FXRuby has been upgraded to 1.4.3 (final release will include
  1.4.4). This also, still includes FXRuby 1.2.6 for those programs
  that still require the older version. Both are included as
  preinstalled RubyGems.

Below are the release notes.

======================================

                            Ruby Installer for Windows
                               Ruby Version 1.8.4
                              Installer Version 184-16
                         ------------------------------
                                 RELEASE NOTES
                         ------------------------------

                         Contents:           Version:
                         --------            --------

                         ruby-mswin32        1.8.4
                         zlib-lib            1.2.1
                         ZLib                0.6.0
                         RubyGems            0.8.11
                         Rake                0.7.0
                         RubySrc             1.8.4
                         FXRuby              1.2.6
                         FXri                0.3.2
                         FreeRIDE            0.9.5
                         Notepad++           3.4
                         FXRuby              1.4.3
                         OpenGL              0.23b
                         GLUT                3.7.6
                         SWin                040314
                         VRuby               040306
                         Expat               1.95.8
                         HTMLParser          19990912p2
                         log4r               1.0.5
                         Programming Ruby    1st Edition
                         OpenSSL             0.9.7b-1
                         Iconv               1.8
                         readline            4.3-2
                         PDCurses            2.60-1
                         GDBM                1.8.3-1
                         Installer-Patches   1.8.4

1.  You can install overtop of an existing installation that has
the same Ruby major version number (e.g., 1.6).  Installations
up to and including 1.6.5-1 can only be uninstalled.  All versions
can co-exist peacefully (DLL's willing) in separate directories.

2. This version was compiled using Microsoft Visual C++, not Cygwin.
As a result, some I/O functionality -- particularly those involving
the Unix fork() system call and pipes -- will not work. The benefit
of using MSVC is to have a more stable and reliable version of Ruby.

Reporting Bugs
--------------

Bugs in Ruby itself should be e-mailed to ruby-bugs@ruby-lang.org.

Bugs in the installer should be reported at:

   http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?atid=715&group_id=16...

Make sure your problem has not already been reported, then click
on "Submit New" to create a new bug report.

Disclaimer
----------

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE.

Credits:
--------

    Yukihiro Matsumoto, a.k.a Matz <matz@netlab.co.jp> created
    Ruby in the first place.

    Andy Hunt <andy@pragmaticprogrammer.com> did the original packaging
    of this installer using the Nullsoft installer (www.nullsoft.com).

    Curt Hibbs <curt@hibbs.com> has been maintaining the one-click
    installer since it moved to RubyForge.org in early 2004.

    Dave Thomas <dave@pragmaticprogrammer.com> translated
    the original LaTeX of "Programming Ruby" into XML
    and arranged its release under the Open Publication License.

    Bernard Delmée <bdelmee@advalvas.be> created the Windows Help
    version of our "Programming Ruby" book.

    Martin Ankerl <martin.ankerl@gmail.com> created fxri, a GUI
    interface to the ri documentation database.

    Martin DeMello <martindemello@yahoo.com> created fxirb, a GUI
    version of Ruby's console based irb (interactive ruby). fxirb
    is incorporated into Martin Ankerl's fxri.

    Lyle Johnson <ljohnson@resgen.com> ported and provides the
    FXRuby GUI extension.
560c83ff6b6600e39315a1cf75b7c229?d=identicon&s=25 Tom Copeland (Guest)
On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 08:32 +0900, Curt Hibbs wrote:
>     installer since it moved to RubyForge.org in early 2004.
Just wanted to inject a quick thanks to the folks who are providing
RubyForge file and gem mirrors; they're now serving about 22 GB of data
per day:

http://rubyforge.org/credits/

Yours,

Tom
C475cffda1800fbc3f3af17bc10c220f?d=identicon&s=25 Curt Hibbs (Guest)
On 1/30/06, Tom Copeland <tom@infoether.com> wrote:

> Just wanted to inject a quick thanks to the folks who are providing
> RubyForge file and gem mirrors; they're now serving about 22 GB of data
> per day:
>
> http://rubyforge.org/credits/

Yes, definitely feel free to send a note of appreciation to those who
selflessly donate their paid-for bandwidth to be a RubyForge mirror.

I know I'm not helping with this much larger One-Click Installer
download. There are a couple causes. First, I started including the
Ruby source code to make it easier for people to compile additional
Ruby extensions if/when they so desire. And second, this release
contains two versions of FXRuby, 1.4.4 (the latest release), and 1.2.6
(needed by fxri and FreeRIDE).

Curt
560c83ff6b6600e39315a1cf75b7c229?d=identicon&s=25 Tom Copeland (Guest)
> I know I'm not helping with this much larger One-Click
> Installer download. There are a couple causes. First, I
> started including the Ruby source code to make it easier for
> people to compile additional Ruby extensions if/when they so
> desire. And second, this release contains two versions of
> FXRuby, 1.4.4 (the latest release), and 1.2.6 (needed by fxri
> and FreeRIDE).

It's no problem!  The One-Click Installer is the most popular download
on RubyForge, and we would have had to set up this mirror thing at some
point anyhow.  All's well...

Yours,

Tom
Curt Hibbs wrote:
> Ruby extensions if/when they so desire. And second, this release
> contains two versions of FXRuby, 1.4.4 (the latest release), and 1.2.6
> (needed by fxri and FreeRIDE).

This is a question more about gems, I think. I noticed that, after
installing the one-click, and doing a gem cleanup, 1.2.6 was deleted.
I'm not on windows now, so I can't tell whether this breaks FreeRIDE,
but it sounds like it would.

Is there some way to "lock" older gems that are needed by applications?
Or would FreeRIDE have to be a gem itself and have an explicit
dependency?
On 1/31/06, Joel VanderWerf <vjoel@path.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> Curt Hibbs wrote:
> > Ruby extensions if/when they so desire. And second, this release
> > contains two versions of FXRuby, 1.4.4 (the latest release), and 1.2.6
> > (needed by fxri and FreeRIDE).
>
> This is a question more about gems, I think. I noticed that, after
> installing the one-click, and doing a gem cleanup, 1.2.6 was deleted.
> I'm not on windows now, so I can't tell whether this breaks FreeRIDE,
> but it sounds like it would.

Yes, this would break both FreeRIDE and fxri.

> Is there some way to "lock" older gems that are needed by applications?
> Or would FreeRIDE have to be a gem itself and have an explicit dependency?

I'm not a RubyGemes expert, perhaps one of the RubyGems developers is
reading and can answer?

Curt
D8831c4665a164c6ce484003deb1afd6?d=identicon&s=25 Guillaume Marcais (Guest)
This version of ruby doesn't seem to work on Linux+Wine. The installer
worked flawlessly. Trying to run anything ends up with:

% wine 'C:\ruby-1.8.4-one\bin\ruby' 'C:\ruby-1.8.4-one\bin\irb.bat'
C:/ruby-1.8.4-one/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/ubygems.rb:4: No space left on
device - C:/ruby-1.8.4-one/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/ubygems.rb
(Errno::ENOSPC)

It fails on the command 'require "rubygems"'.

By contrast, ruby 1.8.2 One Click installer was working great.

Anything I can do to help ensure the upcoming 1.8.4 final release will
work on Linux+Wine too (kind of important to me).

Guillaume.
C475cffda1800fbc3f3af17bc10c220f?d=identicon&s=25 Curt Hibbs (Guest)
Maybe the RUBYOPT environent variable isn't getting set. Try manually
setting RUBYOPY=rubygems

I had no idea that anyone was using this on Linux with Wine.

Curt
On Wed, 1 Feb 2006, Curt Hibbs wrote:

> Maybe the RUBYOPT environent variable isn't getting set. Try manually
> setting RUBYOPY=rubygems
>
> I had no idea that anyone was using this on Linux with Wine.

i used it a while back to decode some xls files this way - actually
worked.  i
think i ended up using cross over office - nonetheless i ended up make
win32
calls on my linux box and used the one click installer for ruby.  pretty
neat.

cheers.

-a
Curt Hibbs wrote:
> Maybe the RUBYOPT environent variable isn't getting set. Try manually
> setting RUBYOPY=rubygems

It is set. Apparently, any require fails.

% wine wcmd
WCMD Version 0.17

H:\>set RUBYOPT
RUBYOPT=rubygems
H:\>ruby -e 'puts "toto"'
C:/ruby-1.8.4-one/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/ubygems.rb:4: No space left on
device - C:/ruby-1.8.4-one/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/ubygems.rb
(Errno::ENOSPC)
H:\>set RUBYOPT=
H:\>ruby -e 'puts "toto"'
toto
H:\>ruby -rubygems -e 'puts "toto"'
C:/ruby-1.8.4-one/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/ubygems.rb:4: No space left on
device - C:/ruby-1.8.4-one/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/ubygems.rb
(Errno::ENOSPC)
H:\>ruby -v
ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i386-mswin32]
H:\>path
PATH=c:\windows\system32;c:\windows;c:\ruby-1.8.4-one\bin

> I had no idea that anyone was using this on Linux with Wine.

See my previous post ruby-talk:176939.

Guillaume
ara.t.howard@noaa.gov wrote:

> i used it a while back to decode some xls files this way - actually
> worked.  i
> think i ended up using cross over office - nonetheless i ended up make
> win32
> calls on my linux box and used the one click installer for ruby.  pretty
> neat.

Weirdo.

:)
On 1/31/06, Guillaume Marcais <guslist@free.fr> wrote:
> Curt Hibbs wrote:
> > Maybe the RUBYOPT environent variable isn't getting set. Try manually
> > setting RUBYOPY=rubygems
>
> It is set. Apparently, any require fails.

I'm afraid I haven't a clue.

You might want to try ruby-mswin32:

  http://www.garbagecollect.jp/ruby/mswin32/en/downl...

The One-Click installer is built on top of this. At least then we'd
know if the problem lies in the base system, and in something that I
added on. ruby-mswin32 does not include RubyGems, so you'll have to
install that manually.

Curt
C475cffda1800fbc3f3af17bc10c220f?d=identicon&s=25 Curt Hibbs (Guest)
That was supposed to say "or in something I added on" not "and in
something I added on"!

Someday, I will learn to proof read my postings before I hit the send
button.  :-(

Curt
10d4acbfdaccb4eee687a428ca00a5d8?d=identicon&s=25 Jim Weirich (weirich)
on 2006-02-01 16:59
Joel VanderWerf wrote:
> Is there some way to "lock" older gems that are needed by applications?
> Or would FreeRIDE have to be a gem itself and have an explicit
> dependency?

I assume you mean lock down so that the gem cleanup command won't remove
particular versions.

There is no direct way to do this in RubyGems.  However, you could
create a gem of your own that installed no software but did depened on
the versions of the software you needed.  It is pretty trivial to create
gems, so this is not hard.  As long as your "lock down" gem is
installed, the cleanup command won't remove the referenced gem versions.
(caveat: technique untried, but can't think of a reason it wouldn't
work).

--
-- Jim Weirich
86b36e556cec3b988cae0bc907cbbfc6?d=identicon&s=25 Jon A. Lambert (Guest)

If you select a method entry in the left pane, it sends stuff like the
following to the IRB window.

irb(main):001:0> Abbrev#abbrev, Abbrev#abbrev
Abbrev#abbrev, Abbrev#abbrev
Array::[], Array::[]
Array::[], Array::[]
Abbrev#abbrev, Abbrev#abbrev
Array::[], Array::[]

If you select a class from the left pane, the top pane shows the doc.
C475cffda1800fbc3f3af17bc10c220f?d=identicon&s=25 Curt Hibbs (Guest)
It was just reported and verified that "fxri" is not working properly.
Clicking on a class display its documentation (like it is supposed
to), but clicking on a method does not display the documentation.

Also (this should have been in the release notes), previous versions
of the One-Click Installer contained an (old) version of Tcl/Tk. Now
this installer only contains the Ruby bindings to whatever version of
Tcl/Tk you wish to install. ActiveTcl would be a good choice:

  http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActiveTcl/

Curt
05e48e632fdd0b2c25d27042f52c11d5?d=identicon&s=25 A LeDonne (Guest)
On 2/1/06, Guillaume Marcais <guslist@free.fr> wrote:
> RUBYOPT=rubygems
> ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i386-mswin32]
> H:\>path
> PATH=c:\windows\system32;c:\windows;c:\ruby-1.8.4-one\bin

It looks like it's trying to write files in retrieving a gem, but
failing with "No space left on device". Can you successfully write
other files under Wine, say, using Notepad.exe?
28d78f0eb6df0191896f8696741b63d5?d=identicon&s=25 Gary Watson (pfharlock)
on 2006-02-01 23:30
Curt Hibbs wrote:
> Also (this should have been in the release notes), previous versions
> of the One-Click Installer contained an (old) version of Tcl/Tk. Now
> this installer only contains the Ruby bindings to whatever version of
> Tcl/Tk you wish to install. ActiveTcl would be a good choice:
>
>   http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActiveTcl/
>
> Curt

I'm not an expert, so this might be a moot point, but having tk included
with the ruby installer is one of the major reasons I code in ruby/tk vs
one of the other toolkits.  (maybe this should be my clue-in to start
coding my guis in fox :)

at any rate I would like to see it left in if it's not eating up too
much space, (coming from someone who has no idea of the technical
difficulties involved with this request)

  Thanks again for the great job on the one-click installer,
           Gary Watson
7f649f7754960581ea9d7f7ee518d782?d=identicon&s=25 Phil Duby (Guest)
"Curt Hibbs" <curt.hibbs@gmail.com> wrote in message
=== One-Click Ruby Installer 184-16 preview2 is available! ===

By popular demand, preview2 goes back to including SciTE as its
bundled code editor, and includes the promised upgrade of FXRuby to
1.4.4. Everything else in the preview1 announcement is still correct.

[ .. snip .. snip ... ] why won't OE indent the original message lines
with
 > ? I TOLD it to.

Possible problem with rdocs for the installer.

Windows XP Pro
I did a full uninstall of the previous one click installer before
installing
the preview use ruby184-16p2.exe.  After the install, ri, fxri, rdocs in
freeride were not working correctly.  Everything I could see was
doubled,
and most was giving messages about multiple matches.  EG.
>ri String#upcase!
More than one method matched your request. You can refine
your search by asking for information on one of:

     String#upcase!, String#upcase!

I traced this to the docs being in both the site and system folders
... ruby\share\ri\1.8\site
... ruby\share\ri\1.8\system

I removed the contents of the site directory, and everything seems to be
working again.
32edd0717b3144d5c58a352d613abdc9?d=identicon&s=25 gabriele renzi (Guest)
Jim Weirich ha scritto:
> There is no direct way to do this in RubyGems.  However, you could
> create a gem of your own that installed no software but did depened on
> the versions of the software you needed.  It is pretty trivial to create
> gems, so this is not hard.  As long as your "lock down" gem is
> installed, the cleanup command won't remove the referenced gem versions.
> (caveat: technique untried, but can't think of a reason it wouldn't
> work).

would it be reasonable to add a switch (I'm thinking of "gem lock
foo-x.y.z") to gem to do this automagically?
It could update a rubygems-locked gem each time "lock" is called,
providing users a nice interface to a useful feature.
On 2/1/06, Phil Duby <newshoundat@atphriendly.atnet> wrote:
>  > ? I TOLD it to.
> your search by asking for information on one of:
>
>     String#upcase!, String#upcase!
>
> I traced this to the docs being in both the site and system folders
> ... ruby\share\ri\1.8\site
> ... ruby\share\ri\1.8\system
>
> I removed the contents of the site directory, and everything seems to be
> working again.

Thanks... this is a big help!  I'll take a closer look ASAP.

Curt Hibbs wrote:
>   http://www.garbagecollect.jp/ruby/mswin32/en/downl...
Ok, this version does have the require problem too:

c:\ruby-1.8.4\bin>ruby -ryaml
puts(1.to_yaml)
C:/ruby-1.8.4/lib/ruby/1.8/yaml.rb:436: No space left on device -
C:/ruby-1.8.4/lib/ruby/1.8/yaml.rb (Errno::ENOSPC)

You are off the hook, Curt :)

What is the best way to report this bug?

Guillaume.
A LeDonne wrote:
>> RUBYOPT=rubygems
>> ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i386-mswin32]
>> H:\>path
>> PATH=c:\windows\system32;c:\windows;c:\ruby-1.8.4-one\bin
>
> It looks like it's trying to write files in retrieving a gem, but
> failing with "No space left on device". Can you successfully write
> other files under Wine, say, using Notepad.exe?

Sure can:

% wine wcmd
WCMD Version 0.17

H:\>c:
c:\>dir
Volume in drive c is
Volume Serial Number is 0000-0000

Directory of c:\

   2/1/2006  12:19 AM             0  1
  1/20/2006  12:11 AM             0  autoexec.bat
  1/20/2006  12:11 AM             0  config.sys
  1/22/2006   3:25 PM  <DIR>         Program Files
  1/22/2006   3:25 PM  <DIR>         Programme
  1/20/2006  12:25 AM  <DIR>         ruby-1.8.2
  1/24/2006   1:18 AM  <DIR>         ruby-1.8.4
  1/31/2006   9:24 AM  <DIR>         ruby-1.8.4-one
  1/22/2006   1:52 AM  <DIR>         temp
  1/20/2006  12:11 AM  <DIR>         tmp
  1/25/2006  12:59 PM  <DIR>         windows
        3 files                        0 bytes
        8 directories     10,045,562,880 bytes free

c:\>echo test > test
c:\>type test
test

Guillaume.
C475cffda1800fbc3f3af17bc10c220f?d=identicon&s=25 Curt Hibbs (Guest)
On 2/1/06, Guillaume Marcais <guslist@free.fr> wrote:

> What is the best way to report this bug?

I see you already did what was going to suggest, but I was also going
to say that I doubted that there was anything that he could do because
its not really his target environment.

I think that you were just lucky that it worked before.  Of course
that spoiled you and set your expectations too high... but that's
another story entirely. Sorry  :-(

Curt