Forum: Rails Engines Extend UserEngine to have different user type

8972cc9942765a7bc043315effde18f5?d=identicon&s=25 Simone Fumagalli (Guest)
Hello, I'm new to Rails and expecially to Engines.
I've just installed the LoginRngine and the UserEngine.

I'm developing a new application where I have different type of users
with different personal data.

The UserEngine like it is now, it doesn't allow to manage this (right ?)

What do you think is the best way to manage this situation ?

- expand the engine so that it can handle diffent type of users
- forget the engine and manage everything in the application.

Simone
Just because the provided engine controllers/views don't provide the
mechanisms to edit your custom user data doesn't mean you can't use
them - you can create your own controllers to edit the data, or use
the code-mixing mechanism engines provide to extend/modify the
existing controllers to suit your application.

It's important, especially for someone coming recently to Rails, to
realise that there does *not* need to be a 1-1 mapping between models
and controllers.

- james

On 1/30/06, Simone Fumagalli <simone@tomato.it> wrote:
> - expand the engine so that it can handle diffent type of users
> - forget the engine and manage everything in the application.
>
> Simone

* J *
  ~
8972cc9942765a7bc043315effde18f5?d=identicon&s=25 Simone Fumagalli (Guest)
JA> or use the code-mixing mechanism engines provide to extend/modify
the
JA> existing controllers to suit your application.
What you mean exactly with "code-mixing mechanism" ?
Can you provide some links ?

Thanks again
--
Simone