Forum: Ruby Ruby tutorials w/ excercises

F0b9447fc4fe4b3b4283b2055a82103e?d=identicon&s=25 Scott Taylor (Guest)
I was wondering if there are any Ruby tutorials with excercises at the
end of the chapters or sections which could be recommended

Thanks,

Scott Taylor
571b69519dc3cb4a78aa80f4e645349f?d=identicon&s=25 Aaron Kulbe (Guest)
On 1/29/06, Scott Taylor <scott@miningstocks.com> wrote:

> I was wondering if there are any Ruby tutorials with excercises at the
> end of the chapters or sections which could be recommended

I would recommend you look into the Pragmatic Programmers "Learn to
Program" book.  Its subtitle is "The Facets of Ruby Series".

Good book.  I have it in both the PDF and hard copy, and refer to it
regularly.  It has exercises throughout the chapters.
622fa8560c82dfaa59c91ec75efb0c19?d=identicon&s=25 Alex Combas (Guest)
> On 1/29/06, Scott Taylor <scott@miningstocks.com> wrote:

Here is nice one with good exercises:
http://ruby-doc.org/docs/Immersive%20Ruby%20progra...

Also, several in here, but not all have exercises
http://ruby-doc.org/docs/

Happy Hacking!
On Jan 29, 2006, at 11:52 PM, Scott Taylor wrote:

> I was wondering if there are any Ruby tutorials with excercises at
> the end of the chapters or sections which could be recommended

Just to be sure we've covered all the options, there are plenty of
exercises at http://rubyquiz.com/.

James Edward Gray II
F3b7109c91841c7106784d229418f5dd?d=identicon&s=25 Justin Collins (Guest)
Scott Taylor wrote:

> I was wondering if there are any Ruby tutorials with excercises at the
> end of the chapters or sections which could be recommended
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott Taylor

Code katas from Prag Dave:

http://blogs.pragprog.com/cgi-bin/pragdave.cgi/Pra...

-Justin
A13967d343cd6d6028cee84a227a2f8d?d=identicon&s=25 Ali (Guest)
on 2006-01-31 13:20
Scott Taylor wrote:
> I was wondering if there are any Ruby tutorials with excercises at the
> end of the chapters or sections which could be recommended
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott Taylor

I highly recommend Why's Poignant guide, you can work through the
various concepts  while you read about them. Be warned, it's really
quite strange. Check it out:

http://poignantguide.net/ruby/index.html

Ali
32ba8c5c148da2653028dc7f8066b810?d=identicon&s=25 Doug Bromley (Guest)
> Code katas from Prag Dave:
>
> http://blogs.pragprog.com/cgi-bin/pragdave.cgi/Pra...
>
> -Justin

Thats a fantastic resource!  I've never come across it before - I'm
always on the look out for some interesting and valid practice.  My
imagination always freezes though so its good having things like this.
 Will have to post that one on my blog.
De271a04fe7a67b884ce75404c1dcc61?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Gernon (kabigon)
on 2006-01-31 19:10
Don't forget http://tryruby.hobix.com/ ...

Aaron Kulbe wrote:

> I would recommend you look into the Pragmatic Programmers "Learn to
> Program" book.  Its subtitle is "The Facets of Ruby Series".

I was considering this book, but was hesitant because I already know how
to program (at least, I like to think so!). Is this book aimed strictly
at people who know nothing about programming, or would it also be
appropriate for people who want to learn Ruby, but are otherwise fairly
experienced programmers?
Doug Bromley wrote:
>  Will have to post that one on my blog.

You might also be interested in Jon Bently's Programming Pearls

http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/pearls/

C-based, but still good.

--
James Britt

"Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally
  for machines to execute."
   - H. Abelson and G. Sussman
   (in "The Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs)
On 1/31/06, Chris Gernon <kabigon@gmail.com> wrote:
> appropriate for people who want to learn Ruby, but are otherwise fairly
> experienced programmers?

I think this is probably more appropriate for someone new to
programming.  There are posts in this same thread that that mention
the Code Katas.  I would check those out.
9a46755c817121b0571a563e5ab02090?d=identicon&s=25 Brian Buckley (brian)
Check out

http://mathschallenge.net

Short math problems and solutions in different languages.  Opportunity
here
for Ruby gurus to step up to the plate.

Brian
E17632fab00b930ea3b30e1b98f39675?d=identicon&s=25 Jeppe Jakobsen (Guest)
It's a nice site, but I doubt that it's very challenging to write a
program
that can solve the question, at least for most of the problems.

It's nice exercies for beginners though.

:)

2006/2/1, Brian Buckley <briankbuckley@gmail.com>:
2cf6d8e639314abd751f83a72e9a2ac5?d=identicon&s=25 Martin DeMello (Guest)
James Edward Gray II <james@grayproductions.net> wrote:
> On Jan 29, 2006, at 11:52 PM, Scott Taylor wrote:
>

> > I was wondering if there are any Ruby tutorials with excercises at
> > the end of the chapters or sections which could be recommended
>
> Just to be sure we've covered all the options, there are plenty of
> exercises at http://rubyquiz.com/.

Which I'm currently using to teach myself common lisp :)

martin