Forum: Ruby on Rails dispatch.cgi Problem

7f38b0730b4ec046dde96341236fcc5f?d=identicon&s=25 Eric (Guest)
on 2006-01-30 05:39
Hey all,

I've been battling with ruby configurations for days now...trying to get
either SCGI or FCGI to work on my Apache 1.3/Linux Red Hat 3 server.

I've pretty much gave up that battle since either of them will work with
me after trying dozens of configurations, but now even when I try to run
apps with dispatch.cgi I get this error in my log: "Premature end of
script headers: /home/mysite/mydir/rubyapp/public.dispatch.cgi"

I've double checked my chomd on dispatch.cgi, etc... (which is 755), my
shebang line is correct, my .htaccess is perfect, i dont get it.

I can code a full functional ruby app in 30 minutes, but then spend
about 3 days figuring out how to deploy it :-/

Any help would be much appreciated!
Eric wrote:

> I've been battling with ruby configurations for days now...trying to get
> either SCGI or FCGI to work on my Apache 1.3/Linux Red Hat 3 server.
>
> I've pretty much gave up that battle since either of them will work with
> me after trying dozens of configurations, but now even when I try to run
> apps with dispatch.cgi I get this error in my log: "Premature end of
> script headers: /home/mysite/mydir/rubyapp/public.dispatch.cgi"

When I had the same problem it was due to a different UID not being
able to read the old sessions in /tmp.  Try deleting them.

Are you getting anything in your Rails log?

E60d9806a7a4e03b401a632aa0d5c9bd?d=identicon&s=25 Rich Brant (Guest)
same story here, but I finally got mine up and running.  What do you
get when you request the file at the command line? Likely a 500
errror, but it may also tell you wha the issue is.

On 1/30/06, Mark Reginald James <mrj@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> When I had the same problem it was due to a different UID not being

http://brantinteractive.com
rbrant@brantinteractive.com
4034 skippack pike
v. 267.640.2195
f. 215.689.1454
7f38b0730b4ec046dde96341236fcc5f?d=identicon&s=25 Eric (Guest)
on 2006-01-30 17:46
Rich Brant wrote:
> same story here, but I finally got mine up and running.  What do you
> get when you request the file at the command line? Likely a 500
> errror, but it may also tell you wha the issue is.
>
> On 1/30/06, Mark Reginald James <mrj@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>> When I had the same problem it was due to a different UID not being
>>

> --
> http://brantinteractive.com
> rbrant@brantinteractive.com
> 4034 skippack pike
> v. 267.640.2195
> f. 215.689.1454

No luck, deleted my /tmp ruby files and ran dispatch from command line,
got a 500 Server Error, also not getting anything in Rails log.

Have no clue what it could be, after a triple check, everything seems
configured properly, do I have any other options?
5d15c6821f3c3054c04b85471824ba7c?d=identicon&s=25 Andrew Turner (Guest)
My problem was that the dispatch wasn't getting the

require 'fcgi_handler'

so I had to hand copy this from my rails gem directory to the apps lib/
directory and it all worked. Obviously not the best solution, but this
was the root of the problems.

Andrew
http://highearthorbit.com