Forum: Ruby on Rails Displaying based on hostname/subdomain

032fdb4cd4a3c65ebb77846dfa724679?d=identicon&s=25 Joe Noon (Guest)
Ive tried multiple ideas to get this to work, but keep hitting a dead
end.  Has anyone done this before?

I want joe.domain.com to display www.domain.com/profile/joe

Im using lighttpd.

Routes dont have access to the URL string and therefore I cant code in
a conditional.  lighttpd rewrite seems to really screw it all up.  Is
there a feasible solution?

Thank you,

Joe Noon
4005a47a8f2ceee49670b920593c1d52?d=identicon&s=25 Ben Munat (Guest)
Maybe I missed something previously in this thread, but can't you just
do:

# handish virtual hosting
# map all domains of a top-level-domain to a single document-root
$HTTP["host"] =~ "(^|\.)example\.org$" {
   server.document-root = "/var/www/htdocs/example.org/pages/"
}

Taken from here:

http://www.lighttpd.net/documentation/configuration.html

PS: anyone know what "handish" means?
032fdb4cd4a3c65ebb77846dfa724679?d=identicon&s=25 Joe Noon (Guest)
> $HTTP["host"] =~ "(^|\.)example\.org$" {
>    server.document-root = "/var/www/htdocs/example.org/pages/"
> }

I don't want to do anything with document root, since document root
will always be the same for the whole project no matter whats params
I'm passing in.

To further explain, I need to get joe.test.com to translate to
www.test.com/profile/show/joe (:controller "profile" :action "show"
:id "joe")

I don't want to redirect. Ive thought of using the render_component,
but that starts to become ugly.  Any other solutions out there?

Joe Noon
Ff82af3238a57fbd1212832ec1a19f28?d=identicon&s=25 Dylan Stamat (Guest)
Joe, something like this maybe ?
http://textsnippets.com/posts/show/5

evhost isn't very well documented, but this shows the available
variables at
least.
4005a47a8f2ceee49670b920593c1d52?d=identicon&s=25 Ben Munat (Guest)
Yeah, I see your point... configuring in lighty would map different
subdomains to
different apps. But you want it all to go to the same app, remapped to
an action based on
the subdomain.

I think your only option is to map everything at test.com to your app
(in lighty) and then
write something on the rails side to reinterpret the url as needed.

The stock comment in application.rb says "Filters added to this
controller will be run for
all controllers in the application". So, sounds like you need to write a
filter that
checks the host for <username>.test.com and fowards internally based on
what it finds.

That or maybe it's possible to get access to the host name in
routes.rb... ???

I'm too green to throw out the code... any takers out there?

9e7c9c07e64a6b7b075097831c360d53?d=identicon&s=25 Bill Katz (Guest)
How about using something like the following in a before_filter in
application.rb?

    # Grab the subdomain and render appropriately
    @subdomain = request.subdomains.first
    params[:id] = @subdomain
    ProfileController::show
    render :controller => 'profile', :action => 'show'

Does that make any sense?
-Bill
132a94ca65959bda6c74fae54bff2425?d=identicon&s=25 Ezra Zygmuntowicz (Guest)
Here is one way to solve you problem. Its slightly different from
what you wanted as far as mapping to the url you want but its another
way to use the subdomain as account key:

In application.rb
---------------------------
# The filters added to this controller will be run for all
controllers in the application.
# Likewise will all the methods added be available for all controllers.
require 'user_system'
require 'account_location'

   include UserSystem
   include AccountLocation

    before_filter :setup_environment, :except =>
[:new, :create, :signup]

    protected

    def setup_environment
	  if @account = Account.find_by_company_abbrev
(request.subdomains.first)
           @session['account_id'] ||= @account.id
      else
            redirect_to :controller => 'user',  :action => 'login'
----------------------------
in lib/account_location
---------------------------
module AccountLocation
   def self.included(controller)
     controller.helper_method
(:account_domain, :account_host, :account_url)
   end

   protected
     def default_account_subdomain
       @account.company_abbrev if @account && @account.respond_to?
(:company_abbrev) || "default"
     end

     def account_url(account_subdomain = default_account_subdomain,
use_ssl = request.ssl?)
       (use_ssl ? "https://" : "http://") + account_host
(account_subdomain)
     end

     def account_host(account_subdomain = default_account_subdomain)
       account_host = ""
       account_host << account_subdomain + "."
       account_host << account_domain
     end

     def account_domain
       account_domain = ""
       account_domain << request.subdomains[1..-1].join(".") + "." if
request.subdomains.size > 1
       account_domain << request.domain + request.port_string

	With this method I have an Account model that stores the username as
the subdomain key. this before filter gets run on each request and
takes the subdomain from the url and grabs the user that matches it.
Then it sets session[:account_id] to @account.id unless it is already
set. The rest of the methods in the AccountLocation module are just
for creating the correct links that always include the subdomain.

	So with this method, instead of redirecting joe.example.com to
example.com/user/joe, the url just always stays joe.example.com
whenever they are logged in. Much simpler then what you want to do I
think ;-)

Cheers-

-Ezra Zygmuntowicz
Yakima Herald-Republic