Forum: Ruby Trixy abbreviation

Abcb45964c3db7792c7bfd3d2903e69b?d=identicon&s=25 Andreas Farre (Guest)
Hi all,

There's a thing that's been bugging me for quite some time now. If you
read Programming Ruby's section about the object model you will notice
that modules are included by inserting proxy classes between the
including
class and its superclass; where the proxy class has an "iv_tbl" pointer
pointing to the module. This is implemented as a struct-based linked
list
in the interpreter, where the name "iv_tbl" pops up again. So my
question
is: what does the abbreviation iv mean?

Cheers,
Andreas
10d4acbfdaccb4eee687a428ca00a5d8?d=identicon&s=25 Jim Weirich (weirich)
on 2006-01-25 10:14
Andreas Farre wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There's a thing that's been bugging me for quite some time now. If you
> read Programming Ruby's section about the object model you will notice
> that modules are included by inserting proxy classes between the
> including
> class and its superclass; where the proxy class has an "iv_tbl" pointer
> pointing to the module. This is implemented as a struct-based linked
> list
> in the interpreter, where the name "iv_tbl" pops up again. So my
> question
> is: what does the abbreviation iv mean?

My guess is iv_tbl = "instance variable table"

-- Jim Weirich