Forum: Ruby Pure ruby Zlib impl?

8643cd318de8f6483b5bdbeb2ae5ed94?d=identicon&s=25 Charles O Nutter (Guest)
We on the JRuby project have reached the point where rubygems runs up
to where it would need Zlib to work. Since we obviously don't have the
native C zlib impl in JRuby, we don't have Zlib available yet. Does
anyone know of a pure Ruby impl of Zlib and related classes? Even if
it's bloody slow, it would give us somewhere to start.

- Charlie
9a1a4c7f4da6961ef3f6503d7ff33a53?d=identicon&s=25 Adriano Ferreira (Guest)
On 1/24/06, Charles O Nutter <headius@gmail.com> wrote:
> We on the JRuby project have reached the point where rubygems runs up
> to where it would need Zlib to work. Since we obviously don't have the
> native C zlib impl in JRuby, we don't have Zlib available yet. Does
> anyone know of a pure Ruby impl of Zlib and related classes? Even if
> it's bloody slow, it would give us somewhere to start.

For a quick start, the "Zlib" implementation at java.util.zip package
cannot be encapsulated so that it can be replaced later by a Ruby
port? I don't know if I am talking nonsense because I don't know how
much of Java SDK JRuby takes for granted.

Regards,
Adriano.
8643cd318de8f6483b5bdbeb2ae5ed94?d=identicon&s=25 Charles O Nutter (Guest)
Yes, we intend to eventually wrap Java's zlib functionality, to allow
for the best performance. The biggest piece we really need is the
Ruby-facing library...the Zlib module and the classes, methods, and
constants it contains. We've started roughing these out by hand with
the intention of backing them using Java's zlib support, but if there
were any existing impl or simple way to generate stubbed code it would
save us a lot of time.

- Charlie