Forum: Ruby on Rails running a background task/thread in rails?

Cde4ce7f2f5caf468c0a59c308368b9b?d=identicon&s=25 Eric Ching (eching)
on 2006-01-23 19:11
Hi, I am new to ruby and to rails, but I like what I see so far.  I have
been working on a web app in java (servlets and JSPs) that, based on a
request from the user, kicks off a thread in the background to perform a
task (puts messages in an MQSeries queue).  The thread object is stored
in the session and I then allow the user to control the task from the
browser(like stop it).

Is the same thing possible/easy to do in rails?  I searched but couldn't
find quite what I am looking for.  If someone can point me in the right
direction, that would be great.

Thanks in advance,
eching
6dab365a82517fb694650a57ee88e4a4?d=identicon&s=25 joey__ (Guest)
on 2006-01-23 20:37
Eric Ching wrote:
> Hi, I am new to ruby and to rails, but I like what I see so far.  I have
> been working on a web app in java (servlets and JSPs) that, based on a
> request from the user, kicks off a thread in the background to perform a
> task (puts messages in an MQSeries queue).  The thread object is stored
> in the session and I then allow the user to control the task from the
> browser(like stop it).
>
> Is the same thing possible/easy to do in rails?  I searched but couldn't
> find quite what I am looking for.  If someone can point me in the right
> direction, that would be great.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> eching

Check this link:
http://kylemaxwell.com/articles/2006/01/06/railscron-0-1

and the svn:
http://dev.kylemaxwell.com/repository/browse/rails...
Cde4ce7f2f5caf468c0a59c308368b9b?d=identicon&s=25 Eric Ching (eching)
on 2006-01-23 20:52
> Check this link:
> http://kylemaxwell.com/articles/2006/01/06/railscron-0-1
>
> and the svn:
> http://dev.kylemaxwell.com/repository/browse/rails...

Excellent!  Looks about what I need.  Thanks for the links.