Forum: Ruby on Rails dumping out mysql data only (no structure)

2dd904ec5981c31e7bb7a5743a53caf8?d=identicon&s=25 Bruce Balmer (brucebalmer)
Is it possible?  It is mentioned in AWDWR but I cannot find that
option in the MySQL documentation.  I can dump the whole db or just
the structure, but I'd like to be able to dump just the contents.

bruce
Af93ba6b6b59f22a8f37e8de5702ef98?d=identicon&s=25 Bob Silva (Guest)
Hi Bruce

Try this:

mysqldump -t database tablename

Bob Silva
C9c272c33c66abeb2ec9295300615ed9?d=identicon&s=25 Stuart Piltch (Guest)
Bruce Balmer <brucebalmer@...> writes:
> Is it possible?  It is mentioned in AWDWR but I cannot find that
> option in the MySQL documentation.  I can dump the whole db or just
> the structure, but I'd like to be able to dump just the contents.
>
> bruce

Hi Bruce,

There's a utility called "mysqldump" that's included in MySQL
distributions. One
of the flags to mysqldump is "--no-create-info" so the following will
dump all
the data in YOUR_DATABASE (in SQL INSERT format, ready to be loaded into
another
MySQL instance)
   mysqldump --user=me --password=mypass --no-create-info YOUR_DATABASE

database_data_only.sql

One of the other useful flags is "--complete-insert" which will add the
column
names to the insert statements (eg "INSERT user(id, first_name,
last_name)
VALUES(1, 'A', 'User')). This is useful when your new database has a few
extra
columns that weren't in the original dump file.

If you're looking for csv or tab-delimited format instead of SQL insert
format,
I'd suggest writing a short Ruby script.

Cheers,

 - stuart
2dd904ec5981c31e7bb7a5743a53caf8?d=identicon&s=25 Bruce Balmer (brucebalmer)
Thanks guys - worked like a charm.  I had read it in the mysql docs
but not realised what they meant.  It's great when more experienced
people can save someone so much time.

Rails mailing list is awesome.

bruce