Forum: Ruby on Rails Bug in Script.aculo.us' Ajax.InPlaceEditor?

F8fd54072606eaf5603484e756672034?d=identicon&s=25 John Wells (Guest)
on 2006-01-22 18:15
Guys,

I am likely going to submit this as a bug, but wanted to see if anyone
else is experiencing it. I'm trying to use an Ajax.InPlaceEditor. In
firefox, it works great, but in IE, it adds two form elements when
clicked instead of one.

In other words, you have two text fields, two ok buttons, and two cancel
links after clicking an element to be edited.

This even happens when performing the online demo, found here:

http://wiki.script.aculo.us/scriptaculous/show/Aja...

Can anyone confirm or deny that they're experiencing similar behavior?

Thanks, as always, for the help!

John
On Jan 22, 2006, at 9:15 AM, John Wells wrote:

> In other words, you have two text fields, two ok buttons, and two
> cancel
> links after clicking an element to be edited.
>
> This even happens when performing the online demo, found here:
>
> http://wiki.script.aculo.us/scriptaculous/show/Aja...

Same behavior in Safari 2.0.3 (417.8)

--
-- Tom Mornini
C8a634a01a2c4508360874bff7fb1a7f?d=identicon&s=25 Kevin Olbrich (olbrich)
Tom Mornini wrote:
> On Jan 22, 2006, at 9:15 AM, John Wells wrote:
>
>> In other words, you have two text fields, two ok buttons, and two
>> cancel
>> links after clicking an element to be edited.
>>
>> This even happens when performing the online demo, found here:
>>
>> http://wiki.script.aculo.us/scriptaculous/show/Aja...
>
> Same behavior in Safari 2.0.3 (417.8)
>
> --
> -- Tom Mornini

I see that behavior on the demo page using Maxthon (which is basically
IE with a spiffy front-end).

_Kevin
4005a47a8f2ceee49670b920593c1d52?d=identicon&s=25 Ben Munat (Guest)
Yep, I see the same thing in IE6 on win2k with all the latest patches.

3fdda7e032a5619199486d05b506ced4?d=identicon&s=25 Brad Daily (bdaily)
on 2006-01-22 21:03
Using Safari Version 2.0.3 (417.8), I see the same behavior on that demo
page. However, in an app of mine which uses InPlaceEditor, it works as
expected.

I manually updated our app to the most recent Prototype(1.4.0) and
scriptaculous(1.5.1)...
F8fd54072606eaf5603484e756672034?d=identicon&s=25 John Wells (Guest)
on 2006-01-22 21:31
Thanks guys. It almost looks like a timing issue...I can insert alerts
into the class in controls.js and the problem goes away...I suspect
because the alert slow it down enough to fix the problem.

If only setTimeout allowed maintaining of scope, I'd explore this
further.

Thanks!
John
F8fd54072606eaf5603484e756672034?d=identicon&s=25 John Wells (Guest)
on 2006-01-23 02:21
Sigh...what fun.

I resolved my issue. It had to do with an accidental typo in the script
that generates my fields, so that there was a duplicate of two sections
of about 20 elements. Each of those elements were duplicated, and their
ids were duplicated. This explains it pretty well.

The reason the demo page at script.aculo.us demonstrates the same
behavior is that they use the id "editme" in numerous page sections.

Apparently Firefox ignores this, IE and Safari do not.

Thanks,
John