Forum: Rails Engines [ANN]: Indexed Search Engine 0.1.3 Released

D046cca1a33655b6285065ec89711389?d=identicon&s=25 Lance Ball (Guest)
Hello all,

IndexedSearch Engine for Rails Engines version 0.1.3 has been released.

IndexedSearch is a simple, pluggable engine for rails applications which
can
be used to enable full text indexed searches within an application.
Searchable data is parsed, stemmed using the Porter stemmer, and added
to a
fully indexed table. This allows you to index things like "he runs fast"
which will be returned from a search for "running" without using the
LIKE
clause in your SQL searches.

Changes to version 0.1.3 include:
    *  Performance improvements, including the addition of 3 new indexes
(if
you are upgrading from a previous release, you need to run the command
'rake
engines_migrate' to pick up these changes).

    * Addition of 2 new configuration options, allowing users to choose
whether or not to use "live search", and if so what the observation
frequency of the live search field should be. (Thanks to Jim Elliott)

    * Improved context display on search results by using the rails
"excerpt" method.  (Thanks to Jim Elliott)

    * Improved error handling.

For more information, please view the project page at:
http://lance.langwell-ball.com/pages/indexed-search

Regards,
Lance Ball
8b3a5fa50d63275c5c6e304f1a081bfb?d=identicon&s=25 Tim Lucas (Guest)
On 23/01/2006, at 3:00 AM, Lance Ball wrote:

> IndexedSearch Engine for Rails Engines version 0.1.3 has been
> released.

Why not split this into two parts: a plugin which provides the
required model and functionality, and an engine which uses the plugin
and adds controllers, views etc?

That would allow devs (like me) who don't want to use engines to be
able to just use the plugin (and keep it up to date) rather than
having to rip the engine code apart.

-- tim
6805b35d0a8ea3ede0a7da2d4cf5ae77?d=identicon&s=25 Jonathan Weiss (Guest)
> Why not split this into two parts: a plugin which provides the required
> model and functionality, and an engine which uses the plugin and adds
> controllers, views etc?
>
> That would allow devs (like me) who don't want to use engines to be able
> to just use the plugin (and keep it up to date) rather than having to
> rip the engine code apart.

+1

Jonathan
D046cca1a33655b6285065ec89711389?d=identicon&s=25 Lance Ball (Guest)
I gave this some thought last night and I definitely see your point.

I'm going to look into this and  see what I can come up with.   I'll
provide
a more fully thought out response (and perhaps a plugin) in the net
several
days.

Lance
4bd34a2216dc8bdbf1f017f64e4d59e8?d=identicon&s=25 Kyle Maxwell (Guest)
On 1/24/06, Lance Ball <lanceball@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Why not split this into two parts: a plugin which provides the required
> > Jonathan

I'd love to see a comparision (wiki page?) of this and acts_as_ferret.

--
Kyle Maxwell
Chief Technologist
Kyle Maxwell wrote:
> I'd love to see a comparision (wiki page?) of this and acts_as_ferret.

Some relevant links (in case Ferret is unknown to anyone else--like it
was to me, until I read these)  :-)

original email:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.ruby.rails/32709

mods:  http://ferret.davebalmain.com/trac/wiki/FerretOnRails
04cc14ca10d8d5fafbc05ee205641248?d=identicon&s=25 Seth Fitzsimmons (Guest)
> I'd love to see a comparision (wiki page?) of this and acts_as_ferret.

Ditto.

Tangentially, what's been your (or anyone who's used it) experience
with acts_as_ferret?

seth
On 25/01/2006, at 1:48 AM, Lance Ball wrote:

> I gave this some thought last night and I definitely see your point.
>
> I'm going to look into this and  see what I can come up with.
> I'll provide a more fully thought out response (and perhaps a
> plugin) in the net several days.

Great! Tell us how it goes because it could be a good idea for other
engine developers too.

-- tim
D046cca1a33655b6285065ec89711389?d=identicon&s=25 Lance Ball (Guest)
Has anyone on the list looked at or used the Active Search Plugin?

http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/Active+Search+Plugin

While thinking about how I would do this, I started to look around for
other
search capabilities and ran into this.  It seems it's been up on the
rails
wiki since January 12 - just after I announced the first Indexed Search
Engine.  The plugin is structured in much the same way I would do it,
and it
has the ability to used an indexed table (like Indexed Search Engine),
LIKE
queries (what I was reacting to in creating the engine), or Ferret.

Of course, the narcissist in me wants to create my own plugin that does
something similar only better, but I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense
-
especially if others are using Active Search Plugin with good results
and no
complaints.  I'd like to hear feedback from anyone who is using either
this
plugin or my engine.  I have a tough skin, so bring it on.  ;-)

Thanks,
Lance
Ef0db53920b243d6758c2f6b1306df0d?d=identicon&s=25 Steve Ross (cwd)
on 2006-02-01 20:48
I'm using your indexed search in two projects. I tried ferret and it
works nicely, but the syntax is overkill for what my clients want. This
works great.

Thanks,

Steve