Forum: Ruby on Rails the dreaded "Before updating scaffolding from new DB schema,

0a33130bdc009d79578dfcef019e7cfb?d=identicon&s=25 Derek Belsham (dbelsham)
Hi
Can any one help me with this? I think that this is soemthing quite
simple as there is quite abit traffic about this on the web and everyone
sems to figure it out.  I have tried most of the solutions that I can
find. but nothing.

I have mysql 5.0.11 working on linux redhat 9. ruby is working  rails
install mysql library seem to be there.
 to some trying rt get mysql to install need to point the installer to
the correct mysql. I have the table created an am usein the example in
linux journal to test it out.

I am new to ruby and rails but think it may have potential for some
ideas I have.

[derek@192 Blog]$ script/generate scaffold Blog Admin
      exists  app/controllers/
      exists  app/helpers/
      exists  app/views/admin
      exists  test/functional/
  dependency  model
      exists    app/models/
      exists    test/unit/
      exists    test/fixtures/
   identical    app/models/blog.rb
   identical    test/unit/blog_test.rb
   identical    test/fixtures/blogs.yml
       error  Before updating scaffolding from new DB schema, try
creating a table for your model (Blog)

my database
# MySQL (default setup).  Versions 4.1 and 5.0 are recommended.
#
# Get the fast C bindings:
#   gem install mysql
#   (on OS X: gem install mysql -- --include=/usr/local/lib)
# And be sure to use new-style password hashing:
#   http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/old-client.html
development:
  adapter: mysql
  database: blog_development
  username: derek
  password: wcug13
  socket: /tmp/mysql.sock

  # Connect on a TCP socket.  If omitted, the adapter will connect on
the
  # domain socket given by socket instead.
  #host: localhost
  #port: 3306

# Warning: The database defined as 'test' will be erased and
# re-generated from your development database when you run 'rake'.
# Do not set this db to the same as development or production.
test:
  adapter: mysql
  database: blog_test
  username: derek
  password: wcug13
  socket: /tmp/mysql.sock

production:
  adapter: mysql
  database: blog_production
  username: derek
  password: wcug13
  socket: /tmp/mysql.sock

Derek
C8a634a01a2c4508360874bff7fb1a7f?d=identicon&s=25 Kevin Olbrich (olbrich)
on 2006-01-16 05:12
You just need to create a 'blog' table in your database before running
the scaffold generator.

It should have an 'id' column at least.

BTW...I wouldn't recommend posting the password to your mysql server in
the mailing list, even if it is just a development machine.
98faaa166eeabdb0b6867b3896d0f0fe?d=identicon&s=25 Tim Buchalka (Guest)
Are you sure the database table exists and the username/password is
correct?

Try connecting to mysql from the command prompt using that username and
password and see what happens.

Cheers

Tim
0a33130bdc009d79578dfcef019e7cfb?d=identicon&s=25 dbelsham (Guest)
on 2006-01-16 07:48
Kevin Olbrich wrote:

> You just need to create a 'blog' table in your database before running
> the scaffold generator.
>
> It should have an 'id' column at least.
>
> BTW...I wouldn't recommend posting the password to your mysql server in
> the mailing list, even if it is just a development machine.

One thousand thank yous. The problem was I did create a "Blog" table
instad of a "blog" table. I suspect that I had some library problems at
first as well.

Any way thanks again
Derek