Forum: Ruby on Rails SEO friendly and validation?

032846cea822286d9290d1fe35ccbd62?d=identicon&s=25 SÅ?awek Tuleja (tusla)
on 2006-01-15 20:23
Hello everyone!

I am new to Ruby on Rails.
These are my questions:
- is Ruby on Rails SEO friendly?
- can validation result be in another language then english?

thanks!
SÅ?awek Tuleja wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> I am new to Ruby on Rails.
> These are my questions:
> - is Ruby on Rails SEO friendly?
I can't think of anything in it that isn't - you can configure the
routes to give keywords in urls, but anything else is down to the views.

> - can validation result be in another language then english?
Which validation do you mean?  The model validation given by scaffolded
code?  That's easily changed, as you'll see if you peruse the code
generated by a sctipt/generate scaffold ModelName command.  If you're
referring to something else, you'll have to be a *little* more
specific...
03cb7371db223067d0daab54e1f95cb2?d=identicon&s=25 Abdur-Rahman Advany (Guest)
yes and yes : )
C3261f8b71e1a154e8e35cc68b51c6c7?d=identicon&s=25 Joe Toth (Guest)
I was thinking the other day about SEO and AJAX...

Basically in order for your page to be indexed by a search engine it
has to be accessible and linked via a url.  Because the search engine
can't get people to that URL via javascript.  It can't say go here,
then execute this piece of javascript.  (Or at least, I never seen one
that does).  It would be nice if I could organize certain information
with javascript or full ajax methods, but if a user can't find that
information in the first place, then its not helpful.

I just wanted to know other's thoughts on the issue.  Should the site
have javascript actions for the human user, then under <noscript> have
hyperlinks for the search engines?  Or should the page have a few
javascript actions for the user, then on another part of the page have
html links for the search engines?

homedepot.com has a good example of this.  If you browse to an item
there are 3 clickable tabs updated via javascript.

Thanks
On 1/16/06, Joe Toth <joetoth@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just wanted to know other's thoughts on the issue.  Should the site
> have javascript actions for the human user, then under <noscript> have
> hyperlinks for the search engines?  Or should the page have a few
> javascript actions for the user, then on another part of the page have
> html links for the search engines?
>
> homedepot.com has a good example of this.  If you browse to an item
> there are 3 clickable tabs updated via javascript.
>
> Thanks

You can specify fallback urls for links and forms.  If a remote form
is posted, it acts like a regular form if javascript is not enabled.
If a link is clicked, it goes to the url in the href attribute (which
is # by default when you use link_to_function/remote).

Be smart about your ajax and this won't be an issue.

--
rick
http://techno-weenie.net

You should not load text/content with ajax. So ajax tabs are a very bad
idea. You should just load it in a normal html thing, and then use CSS
and javascript to create tabs. So you load all the content of all the
tabs when the user requests the page.

Jules