Forum: Ruby Rails and Ruby in Germany -> Rails is Ruby killer applicatio

3cb4fdcf13aad6a7dcae83876b0e784e?d=identicon&s=25 Josef 'Jupp' SCHUGT (Guest)
Hi!

For a quite some time Ruby's lead an orphan's life. Even university
book stores in Bonn (former capital) and Cologne (one of the biggest
cities in Germany) had few if any books on Ruby in stock. This
situation persisted for at least two years.

The change took place when Rails entered the scene and "Agile Web
Development with Rails" was published. Suddenly Ruby books that in
principle were already available for quite some time) popped up like
mushrooms.

By definition of the term "killer application" this means that Rails
is a Ruby killer application: An application that nicely demonstrates
some of the many advantages of Ruby and at the same time strongly
increases the number of people who know what it is good for.

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt
On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 19:01:11 +0100, Josef 'Jupp' SCHUGT <jupp@gmx.de>
wrote:

> mushrooms.
>
> By definition of the term "killer application" this means that Rails
> is a Ruby killer application: An application that nicely demonstrates
> some of the many advantages of Ruby and at the same time strongly
> increases the number of people who know what it is good for.
>
> Josef 'Jupp' Schugt

Well yay, I hope the trend spreads on. Me wanna translated printed
Pickaxe
2 ;P

David Vallner
A0ff85672de505e7bfa2fe17e85581cc?d=identicon&s=25 Paulus Esterhazy (Guest)
> For a quite some time Ruby's lead an orphan's life. Even university
> book stores in Bonn (former capital) and Cologne (one of the biggest
> cities in Germany) had few if any books on Ruby in stock. This
> situation persisted for at least two years.

By the way, are there any local ruby (or rails) communities/user groups
in Germany? München, Köln, Berlin?

Cheers,
Paulus

At Wed, 18 Jan 2006 00:57:01 +0900, Paulus Esterhazy wrote:

> > For a quite some time Ruby's lead an orphan's life. Even university
> > book stores in Bonn (former capital) and Cologne (one of the biggest
> > cities in Germany) had few if any books on Ruby in stock. This
> > situation persisted for at least two years.
> >

> By the way, are there any local ruby (or rails) communities/user
> groups in Germany? Muenchen, Koeln, Berlin?

*Deutsch siehe unten*

If you receive this message via Ruby-de-talk please note that the
thread's origin is Ruby-talk!

I repeatedly suggested a Cologne/Bonn area Ruby User Group but up to
now there simply weren't enough people interested in such a group.

Although fonding a "Verein" is *very* German, I do *not* intend to set
up a so called "Verein" because that involves an organizational
overhead that is incompatible to The Ruby Way (TM). Bonn's Linux User
Group shows that one does not need a Verein to organize regular
meetings. If a Verein infrastructure should ever happen to be required
(say in order to find sponsors who support a European Ruby Convention
taking place at Cologne) I am confident that Cologne's "Computer Club
Pascal" would provide it. They already provide one of Cologne's Linux
User Groups (the "Linux-Workshop") with such an infrastructure.

In short: Who is interested in building a Cologne/Bonn area Ruby User
Group?

*English see above*

Sofern  Sie diese Nachricht via Ruby-de-talk erhalten, beachten Sie
bitte, dass der Ursprung dieses Threads Ruby-talk ist.

Ich habe wiederholt vorgeschlagen, eine Ruby-Benutzergruppe fuer den
Bereich Koeln/Bonn aufzubauen aber bislang gab es einfach nicht genug
Leute, die sich fuer eine solche Gruppe interessieren.

Obwohl das Gruenden von "Vereinen" sehr deutsch ist, habe ich *nicht*
die Absicht, einen so genannten "Verein" einzureichten, weil der damit
verbundene organisatorische Overhead zu "The Ruby Way (TM)"
inkompatibel ist. Die bonner Linux-Benutzergruppe zeigt, dass man
keinen Verein benoetigt, um regelmaessige Treffen zu organisieren.
Sollte tatsaechlich einmal eine Vereins-Infratruktur benoetigt werden
(sagen wir, um Sponsoren zu finden, die eine in Koeln stattfindende
European Ruby Convention unterstuetzen, bin ich mir ziemlich sicher,
dass der Koelner "Computer Club Pascal" diese Bereitstellen wuerde.
Sie stellen bereits einer der Koelner Linux-Benutzergruppen (dem
"Linux-Workshop") eine solche zur Verfuegung.

Kurz: Wer hat Interesse daran, eine Ruby User Group fuer den Bereich
Koeln/Bonn aufzubauen?

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt
Josef 'Jupp' Schugt
3d22e4544a908ea6169472e39161ae27?d=identicon&s=25 Stephan Kämper (Guest)
Paulus Esterhazy wrote:
>> For a quite some time Ruby's lead an orphan's life. Even university
>> book stores in Bonn (former capital) and Cologne (one of the biggest
>> cities in Germany) had few if any books on Ruby in stock. This
>> situation persisted for at least two years.
>>

> By the way, are there any local ruby (or rails) communities/user groups
> in Germany? München, Köln, Berlin?

There's Hamburg.rb, well in Hamburg, although that (sadly) went a bit
silent (after I moved to Munich).

But there is the idea of forming a Ruby/Rails group im Munich.

Happy rubying

StePhan
32c37abe8570fd46e2f5e69b7a4d4c97?d=identicon&s=25 mattscape (Guest)
I might be intrested. But right now I have big time constraints. I work
in Bavaria and live in Bonn. So only fridays would work for me.
07b54eeca41339c4c5474efc079a4c79?d=identicon&s=25 klausa (Guest)
I am interested. I live and work in Bonn.

If ever there will be meetings, please announce them in the newsgroup.
I dont want to publish my email adress.

regards - Klaus

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 07:03:22 +0900, Josef 'Jupp' SCHUGT <jupp@gmx.de>