Forum: Ruby on Rails Rad Rails?

A73f446eaaf56db0aeaa578aa373989b?d=identicon&s=25 TAD Donaghe (Guest)

I've just now started learning Ruby on Rails.  Someone told me that I
should get RadRails to use as my IDE.  RadRails.org seems to be dead
now.  Has something bad happened?  Or do I just have my URL wrong?  Is
there another good Rails IDE?  I'm developing on windows right now.

Thanks!

TAD
30269682335f1fb247d71969fa715b5e?d=identicon&s=25 Roberto Saccon (rsaccon)
radrails is great, especially if you are on windows. If their site is
temporarely down, no problem, they are mirroring their stuff at
sourcegeforge

http://sourceforge.net/projects/radrails

If you have eclipse already, use the eclipse plugin:

http://radrails.sourceforge.net/update/
4005a47a8f2ceee49670b920593c1d52?d=identicon&s=25 Ben Munat (Guest)
Hmm, weird... it just worked yesterday... that's definitely the URL...
well, maybe try it
again tomorrow.

PS: I was using the standalone radrails but switched to using the
radrails eclipse plugin.
They really pared eclipse down to the basics for the standalone...
didn't even leave the
search functionality! On the other hand, if you've never used eclipse,
using the plugin
would probably have a steeper learning curve.
Abdf9626d4bdacbe16703056e37215d5?d=identicon&s=25 jason cartwright (Guest)
TAD Donaghe <terry.donaghe@...> writes:

> TAD

Arachno Ruby IDE is another popular choice amongst RoR on Windows
developer
types... But personally I tend to favor using TextPad since RoR makes
coding
short and sweet most of the time. And this from a guy entrenched in
Microsoft's
development tools for almost a decade.

http://www.ruby-ide.com/ruby/ruby_ide_and_ruby_editor.php
81194a50c0f9bd95d7832a77fdf371bd?d=identicon&s=25 csn (Guest)
on 2006-01-15 08:12
Ben Munat wrote:
> Hmm, weird... it just worked yesterday... that's definitely the URL...
> well, maybe try it
> again tomorrow.

> PS: I was using the standalone radrails but switched to using the
> radrails eclipse plugin.
> They really pared eclipse down to the basics for the standalone...
> didn't even leave the
> search functionality! On the other hand, if you've never used eclipse,
> using the plugin
> would probably have a steeper learning curve.

What's the difference between standalone vs. eclipse plugin? (Other than
the obvious standalone/plugin difference.)

csn
csn wrote:
>>They really pared eclipse down to the basics for the standalone...

The ruby/rails features look to be pretty much the same. However, I was
recommending using
eclipse with radrails plugin because the standalone version removes
stuff I like from
eclipse... like the ability to search throughout a project.

And the standalone version doesn't appear to help you install plugins
(you can probably
just drop them in the plugin directory, but the one I tried didn't seem
to work). I might
want to use my own database plugin, or an xml plugin, etc.

On the other hand, the standalone version is less cluttered and would
probably be less
distracting for someone not familiar with eclipse.

22ff4abebc9bfd299524bb14449d95dc?d=identicon&s=25 Erik van Oosten (Guest)
Ben Munat schreef:

> On the other hand, the standalone version is less cluttered and would
> probably be less distracting for someone not familiar with eclipse.

Although I am very familiar with Eclipse, I am using the standalone
version because I am not so familiar with Rails. Using the standalone
version makes all features of the plugins stand out more. Once familiar,
I'll probably switch back to the full Eclipse environment.

    Erik.
258f78ff0f9267ba7055c24304d084d7?d=identicon&s=25 Metin Amiroff (amiroff)
on 2006-01-15 13:27
Hello!

TAD Donaghe wrote:

> RadRails.org seems to be dead
> now.

Not at all, they are waiting for RDT (ruby development tools) release to
base their editor part on, so there's a little silence on their part
these days.

It is http//www.radrails.org

>  Is
> there another good Rails IDE?  I'm developing on windows right now.

Well, not IDE exactly, but if you want a fast editor, then the latest
version of Notepad++ (http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/) has pretty
good features and Ruby support, and you can customize it to death. Get
in touch with me if you decide to use it and have questions.

Other than that, RadRais' new release is definitely gonna rock.

--
Metin