Forum: Ruby on Rails RE: Oracle and Rails seems really slow.... In development

60e38de043848f82392062088f191213?d=identicon&s=25 Hogan, Brian P. (Guest)
No patch yet because I just don't have the time to make patches (never
learned how to do the diff stuff) but I did contact the current
maintainer and did hear back from him a couple of days ago so we'll see
what happens next.  Right now I just made a plugin to patch it for my
apps.

I'll gladly post the plugin as a zip on my server if anyone cares.
41ffa8a6c807370ccf9865c689ccd2fe?d=identicon&s=25 Lori Olson (Guest)
On Jan 13, 2006, at 2:49 PM, Hogan, Brian P. wrote:

> No patch yet because I just don't have the time to make patches
> (never learned how to do the diff stuff) but I did contact the
> current maintainer and did hear back from him a couple of days ago
> so we'll see what happens next.  Right now I just made a plugin to
> patch it for my apps.
>
> I'll gladly post the plugin as a zip on my server if anyone cares.

We care!  We care!
78316e522d62b1656f6e2e0cea8f90e6?d=identicon&s=25 Russ McBride (Guest)

I'm uploading a raw image into a blob column and noticed that unless
I overwrote the model attribute writer that Rails would try to load a
ruby object for the image instead of just the raw data.  So in the
model I did this:

     def picture=(picture_field)
         write_attribute(:picture, picture_field.read)
     end

and things work fine (though I don't really know what I'm doing) ...
except if the user fails to select an image to upload, in which cases
I get an error:

    undefined method "read" for string ""

Any ideas for avoiding this error message in these cases?  It seems
like some kind of conditional wrapped around the write_attribute
command should work, probably some IO method that will test for the
ability to read a stream (am I working with a stream here?) ...  or
maybe there's a better way to upload a raw image.

Thanks,
russ
E75cda3e915fa209386fae3de962cb6a?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Schoen (Guest)
Hogan, Brian P. wrote:
> No patch yet because I just don't have the time to make patches (never
> learned how to do the diff stuff) but I did contact the current
> maintainer and did hear back from him a couple of days ago so we'll see
> what happens next.  Right now I just made a plugin to patch it for my apps.

It's on my list, should be able to get a patch submitted for this by the
end of the week. Note that I'm still concerned about the revised query.
But I've been sent a few different options, and one of them will work
out.