Forum: Ruby on Rails Mass Mailing

7a7674ea7cb9a6de3140d8a69d9929cc?d=identicon&s=25 James Geary (Guest)
Has anyone found a good method of mass mailing a bunch of people (100k)
using RoR yet?

I have always used a scheduled task to run a ColdFusion page every x
minutes to send out blocks of about 7500 (sending the full 100k crashed
the page) and this worked pretty well and now we are migrating all out
sites to ruby, I seed to do something similar.

Thanks in advance,

James
5ceea097a3b29cb6a5da6705926410f4?d=identicon&s=25 Gerret Apelt (Guest)
Are you asking about scheduling the sending, or performing the sending?

On performing the send, here's a thread:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/50622

On scheduling the send:
Many people (including myself) use a cronjob that launches code via
script/runner. You might also try RailsCron,
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/50968

cheers
Gerret
55428cbf149e35dd4b65f1d019d04139?d=identicon&s=25 Matthew Palmer (Guest)
On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 09:34:01AM -0000, James Geary wrote:
> Has anyone found a good method of mass mailing a bunch of people (100k)
> using RoR yet?
>
> I have always used a scheduled task to run a ColdFusion page every x
> minutes to send out blocks of about 7500 (sending the full 100k crashed
> the page) and this worked pretty well and now we are migrating all out
> sites to ruby, I seed to do something similar.

For a PHP-based site (which is going to get converted to rails any day
now),
I wrote a very simple daemon which checked the database every couple of
minutes for messages to send, and if it found any, started shooting them
off
at regular intervals (send 5, sleep for a second, repeat, if I recall
correctly), and then when the "queue" was empty, going back to sleep for
couple of minutes before checking the queue again.  Seems to have worked
for
the mailshots we've sent out so far.

Reimplementing such a simple algorithm in Ruby would be triviality
itself.

- Matt