I have been very VERY frustrated for the past week trying to solve a seemingly spurious problem with my Windows XP SP2 box with Ruby 1.8.2/Rails 1.0.0/MySQL 5.0.16 or 4.1.15 (yes, I tried both) installed running against a remote MySQL server that was either 3.23 or 4.1 (4.1.15 to be exact--we finally matched them both up to make sure that wasn't the problem). So I post it here (as well as in the Rails_Engine forum, where it first arose for me), in the hopes that it will save someone else some significant trouble. Just for the record, in case others have this problem, what I did was download a compresssed .RAR file for mysql 4.1.15 (mysql-ruby-win32.rar) and copied the mysql.so file to the location specified in the readme at this link: http://jeroen.concept-q.biz/files/ This did the trick... I've spent more than 3 days pulling my hair out (as well as my business partner who's also lost some hair as well--plus he hates it when I pull his hair ;-), but didn't discover this link until just now. Thanks Colin!! (original source: http://weblog.rubyonrails.com/articles/2005/10/30/... thread # 29. Which, unfortunately, I can't post to, in order to help others who may have this same problem.) EVERYONE: If you are getting ANY kind of MySQL::Error, in particular what I was getting was variations of this: Mysql::Error: Lost connection to MySQL server during query [ . . . ] (Buried deep in a stack trace from Rails--this wasn't occuring for a local instance of MySQL server, but only when it was running on a remote server--in our case on a 1&1 dedicated--I think Fedora--host that we self-manage. Of course the adapter worked fine from the server itself AND it worked fine from a Mac OS X box running the identical Ruby/Rails/login_engine code against this remote MySQL server, but always got the error above when running from my Windows XP SP 2 box.) Anyway, if you have this problem, try going to the above URL and download the .RAR file there (you may need to download WinACE or something similar to read .rar compressed files), then read the readme.txt located within and copy the file where it directs. Good luck! ~ Brad
on 2006-01-12 21:37
on 2006-01-12 21:54
There is a bug with WEBrick that will cause MySQL errors to be displayed. The ticket contains the problem, and the fix: http://dev.rubyonrails.org/ticket/3433 Since this bug is timing related, changing drivers, running on a different platform, or running MySQL over the net could also cause it to appear or disappear. If you're not running WEBrick, you won't see the problem in the ticket.