Forum: Ruby Postgres-ing? Too many choices!

12271b6df73fe29930d65586be5a4a70?d=identicon&s=25 Dave Howell (Guest)
it appears that there are three different Gems for talking to a
PostgreSQL database.

	postgres (0.7.1)
	postgres-pr (0.4.0)
	ruby-postgres (0.7.1)

What are the differences between them? How do I pick one?

Thanks.
1004b266da7d0e375ed7cb88b6a79e7c?d=identicon&s=25 Dave Lee (Guest)
On 1/12/06, Dave Howell <groups@grandfenwick.net> wrote:
> it appears that there are three different Gems for talking to a
> PostgreSQL database.
>
>         postgres (0.7.1)
>         postgres-pr (0.4.0)
>         ruby-postgres (0.7.1)
>
> What are the differences between them? How do I pick one?

postgres and ruby-postgres are the same project.  all the gems for
ruby-postgres are post 0.7.1 snapshots.  I've been saying this for a
while, but I intend to release a 0.8.0 release real soon now.  I will
probably release the most recent snapshot of the ruby-postgres gem as
the 0.8.0 release, so it should be pretty functional.  it contains
many fixes and improvements over the postgres-0.7.1 gem.  postgres-pr
is a pure ruby extension, it doesn't rely on PostgreSQL's libpq client
library.  AFAIK, it's not as functional as the native extensions.

Dave
Bf6862e2a409078e13a3979c00bba1d6?d=identicon&s=25 Gregory Seidman (Guest)
On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 02:18:57AM +0900, Dave Lee wrote:
} On 1/12/06, Dave Howell <groups@grandfenwick.net> wrote:
} > it appears that there are three different Gems for talking to a
} > PostgreSQL database.
} >
} >         postgres (0.7.1)
} >         postgres-pr (0.4.0)
} >         ruby-postgres (0.7.1)
} >
} > What are the differences between them? How do I pick one?
}
} postgres and ruby-postgres are the same project.  all the gems for
} ruby-postgres are post 0.7.1 snapshots.  I've been saying this for a
} while, but I intend to release a 0.8.0 release real soon now.  I will
} probably release the most recent snapshot of the ruby-postgres gem as
} the 0.8.0 release, so it should be pretty functional.  it contains
} many fixes and improvements over the postgres-0.7.1 gem.  postgres-pr
} is a pure ruby extension, it doesn't rely on PostgreSQL's libpq client
} library.  AFAIK, it's not as functional as the native extensions.

So I went with postgres-pr instead of asking this question, and now I'm
sorry I did. Would it mess things up to install the
postgres/ruby-postgres
gem? How do I make sure I'm using the right one?

} Dave
--Greg
B84d42a3a5c343f8fc6ab7d7f47fd3f5?d=identicon&s=25 Robby Russell (Guest)
On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 02:50 +0900, Gregory Seidman wrote:
> So I went with postgres-pr instead of asking this question, and now
> I'm
> sorry I did. Would it mess things up to install the
> postgres/ruby-postgres
> gem? How do I make sure I'm using the right one?

gem install postgres
gem uninstall postgres-pr

:-)

-Robby

--
* Robby Russell, Founder & Executive Director                 *