Forum: Ruby Important Algorithm Finally Ported.

A77873df3a9766b208e009248a2a9a56?d=identicon&s=25 Hampton (Guest)
After months of work, gruelling hours, and a nice cup of coffee, the
world's most famous (and infamous) algorithm has been ported to the
ruby language!

{applause}

Thank you, thank you.

The Slim Shady algorithm is a deceptively simple algorithm which finds
use in many many aerospace and bio-informatics systems. Therefore, Ruby
may now stand proud as.... a..... ummm.... language to do those things.

Here is the algorithm...

 def slim_shady_finder homies
   homies.each do |some_guy|
     return some_guy if (some_guy.name.eql? "Slim Shady")
   end
   return nil
 end

Thank you, I know you all can tell how many hours of work have gone
into this conversion. For more information on the SSA and to see where
our implementation has been added... go to the Uncyclopedia.

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Slim_Shady_Algorithm#...
Hi --

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, Hampton wrote:

> may now stand proud as.... a..... ummm.... language to do those things.
>
> Here is the algorithm...
>
> def slim_shady_finder homies
>   homies.each do |some_guy|
>     return some_guy if (some_guy.name.eql? "Slim Shady")
>   end
>   return nil
> end

I have no idea what you're talking about, but you've triggered my
code-massaging compulsion :-)

   def slim_shady_finder(homies)
     homies.find {|h| h.name.eql?("Slim Shady") }
   end

David

--
David A. Black
dblack@wobblini.net

http://www.manning.com/books/black
Fd22ee3cfc7dac283ce8e451af324f7d?d=identicon&s=25 Chad Perrin (Guest)
On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 02:08:07AM +0900, Hampton wrote:
> may now stand proud as.... a..... ummm.... language to do those things.
> Thank you, I know you all can tell how many hours of work have gone
> into this conversion. For more information on the SSA and to see where
> our implementation has been added... go to the Uncyclopedia.

Oh, thank goodness.  I can finally write that plzstandup.rb program.

A77873df3a9766b208e009248a2a9a56?d=identicon&s=25 Hampton (Guest)
David, I'm sorry to say that there is no way to ever improve upon the
code I write.

For, you see, I am the Savior of Ruby. Actually, I'm just kidding. I'm
really the King of Ruby.

Well, I was trying to use the do and no () to make it as ruby-esque as
possible. But, I do like your use of find... so feel free to change it
on that wiki.
Hi --

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, Hampton wrote:

> David, I'm sorry to say that there is no way to ever improve upon the
> code I write.
>
> For, you see, I am the Savior of Ruby. Actually, I'm just kidding. I'm
> really the King of Ruby.
>
> Well, I was trying to use the do and no () to make it as ruby-esque as
> possible. But, I do like your use of find... so feel free to change it
> on that wiki.

There's nothing Ruby-esque about leaving off the parens, except when
they're empty, at which point there is :-)  Nor is do/end more
Ruby-esque than {}.

I specialize in nice-looking, short-but-readable code that runs really
slowly :-)  (I didn't benchmark the two versions but if mine's slower,
it wouldn't be the first time.)

David

--
David A. Black
dblack@wobblini.net

http://www.manning.com/books/black
Ec9233451f7c6ba37a83388b87a1f565?d=identicon&s=25 Phrogz (Guest)
I think you missed a bit:

def slim_shady_finder( homies )
     homies.find{ |some_guy| some_guy.name.eql?( "Slim Shady" ) and not
some_guy.imitating? }
end
82e62c756d89bc6fa0a0a2d7f2b1e617?d=identicon&s=25 Ross Bamford (Guest)
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 19:26:40 -0000, Phrogz <gavin@refinery.com> wrote:

> I think you missed a bit:
>
> def slim_shady_finder( homies )
>      homies.find{ |some_guy| some_guy.name.eql?( "Slim Shady" ) and not
> some_guy.imitating? }
> end

This is so important, I think we should do it *really* slowly and
carefully.

def find_slim(homies)
   if (real_slim = homies.select do |guy|
         guy.name.eql?('Slim Shady')
       end.reject do |guy|
         guy.respond_to?(:imitate_shady)
       end.each do |guy|
         guy.send(:please_stand_up, Time.now)
       end).length == 1
     real_slim.first
   else
     homies.shady_missing(:real_slim)
91ac0ea6ae5c8cd67e2ed455b43ffbee?d=identicon&s=25 Sam Gentle (Guest)
On 1/13/06, Phrogz <gavin@refinery.com> wrote:
> I think you missed a bit:
>
> def slim_shady_finder( homies )
>      homies.find{ |some_guy| some_guy.name.eql?( "Slim Shady" ) and not
> some_guy.imitating? }
> end

But surely you can't just know if a slim shady is just imitating
without first asking them to stand up.

Perhaps:

slim_shadies.find { |slim_shady| slim_shady.stand_up_unless {
slim_shady.imitating? } }

Of course, that has problems - for one, it messes up the shadies'
persistent 'standing' state. This could cause serious problems with
false negatives if they were asked to "please stand up" twice in a
row. It might be possible to subsequently make them sit again, but the
whole thing loses thread safety easily (what if two programs
simultaneously need to find the real slim shady?).

To top it all off, there are potential accessibility issues for
disabled slim shadies who are unable to stand. I consider this
particularly likely to become a problem if every person is a slim
shady lurking. I think the only real solution here is to accept that
there is a slim shady in all of us and make slim_shady_finder simply
return nil.

Sam