Forum: Ruby Availability of Ruby 1.8.4 Windows (One Click Install)

12e073d54b4a380c897af95b8c1ed2ac?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
1.8.2-15 was the last release of Ruby (Windows One Click Install) in
April 2005.
Since then there has been an 1.8.3 and 1.8.4 to other platforms.

The Windows One Click Install package contained the Ruby product plus
numerious
other routines and programs for the windows platform.

What is the estimated availability date for a release of Ruby 1.8.4
(Windows One Click Install)
release?

John
jsp408@comcast.net wrote:

>release?
>
>John

In general, you can use that and override the core ruby installation
with the one found on garbagecollect. Or just use the garbagecollect one
and use rubygems to install the extra libraries for easier updating and
the like. The one click installer project seems pretty asleep.

David Vallner
19f65b7dca6831edf989224b5ebd3fe0?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
On Thursday 12 January 2006 12:18 pm, jsp408@comcast.net wrote:
> release?
>
> John

please sure http://groups.google.com

The topic has been talked to death.
Tsume
David Vallner wrote:
> The one click installer project seems pretty asleep.

It's not Curt who seems pretty asleep.

Have you even *looked* at previous threads on the 1.8.4 1-click?

James

James Britt wrote:

> James

Do excuse me for using the most obvious sources of information, that
being the official project page on rubyforge and the news statements and
rubyinstaller-users archives. Unless the project was moved. Which
doesn't seem to be the case. I can't be expected to even read everything
happening on ruby-talk, much less actively recall it. And arguably, you
could have corrected my mistake much more informatively and without
going out to snag at me. Kthxbai.

David Vallner
5c4e57ad9f066e56297a60b4a1daa1d3?d=identicon&s=25 Alexandru Popescu (Guest)
Sorry to come in the middle of this thread, but I am wondering why
this tone? The question has a pretty decent and normal tone. Do I
searched a few thousand mails list for some related answers. Yes and
no. Maybe I missed the answer. Should instead  google be asked or a
mailing list where usually this kind of question belongs?

cheers,

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.
> Sorry to come in the middle of this thread, but I am wondering why
> this tone? The question has a pretty decent and normal tone. Do I
> searched a few thousand mails list for some related answers. Yes and
> no. Maybe I missed the answer. Should instead  google be asked or a
> mailing list where usually this kind of question belongs?

Maybe google the mailing list?

In the three weeks since the release of Ruby 1.8.4, the question has
now been asked no less than seven times. Including an answer by me
last week.

The answer is always the same: "when it's done." The explanations for
why it's this have always been the same: the large number of packages
involved, the amount of testing that needs to be done, and prior
commitments by Curt (namely Instant Rails for Windows). I happen to
know that he *is* actively working on it now (well, maybe not
right-this-second, as he is like most of the rest of us with a day job
and requiring periods of eat and sleep). I also know that Curt has
asked for assistance.

So far, I don't think he's actually gotten any.

Mr Vallner's comments about the project being asleep are, frankly, out
of line and based on expecting that Curt has time to update the news
on the RubyForge site saying "no, no news yet!" every day just so that
people think that the project is still active.

Frankly, I don't think it's too much to ask for people to maybe do a
*little* googling. The first link from "Ruby 1.8.4 win32" is a link to
my own adventures compiling 1.8.4 with Visual Studio C++. The second
link is "why there's no ruby 1.8.4 for win-one-click-installer?" asked
mere *hours* after the Ruby 1.8.4 release. (I had to read the answers
-- which include an answer by James Britt -- via the Google cache
since Ruby Forum is having Rails issues.) Searching for "Ruby 1.8.4
win32 one-click" gives that second link *first*.

-austin
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 13:47:05 +0100, Austin Ziegler
<halostatue@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Mr Vallner's comments about the project being asleep are, frankly, out
> of line and based on expecting that Curt has time to update the news
> on the RubyForge site saying "no, no news yet!" every day just so that
> people think that the project is still active.

It was 1 (one) single statement, along in insofar the only reply in the
thread that actually gave actual advice on how to make do with the
available installer and then update it to Ruby 1.8.4, a solution that
works _now_, as opposed to "when the next installer is done". And a
simple
"Next release delayed / cancelled due to unexpected problems." news
article wouldn't be that much out of place, and would possibly spare the
mailing list the mentioned recurrent questions as well as this
completely
useless flamewar.

Anyways, in case someone _still_ can't get over it, I hereby officially
announce that I stand corrected, the rubyinstaller project is not
dormant.
I was wrong, you were right. I also offer to anyone a reimbursement of
provable damage caused by my mistakes, flames, and defenses, including,
but not limited to, internet connection fees, worktime lost reading
them,
and central nervous system depressants and antihypertensives, provided
he
agrees to come receive them personally in cash in a major currency.

I hope this concludes this matter satisfactorily. I shall not make any
more posts on this subject. Thank you for your attention and patience.

David Vallner
On Jan 11, 2006, at 10:52 PM, David Vallner wrote:

> I can't be expected to even read everything happening on ruby-talk,
> much less actively recall it.

This mailing list has three archives that I know of:

http://ruby-talk.org/ruby/ruby-talk/index.shtml
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby
http://www.ruby-forum.com/forum/4

Searching these is a great first step to asking a question.  No
superhuman memory required.

James Edward Gray II
2bbd790a07af3baf216495894208c1d0?d=identicon&s=25 Alan Garrison (Guest)
Perhaps a suscinct, standard response to inquires like this (regardless
of the frequency) should be:

"
Please keep tabs on this project by reading the following:

http://rubyinstaller.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Ru...
"

...with nothing more said.  Also it may be a good idea to update the
copy on the Rubyforge project page to, if needed put it in big honking
72 point blinking font characters, point new folks directly to the news
page as not everyone may see the "Project Home Page" link.
C475cffda1800fbc3f3af17bc10c220f?d=identicon&s=25 Curt Hibbs (Guest)
On 1/12/06, David Vallner <david@vallner.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 13:47:05 +0100, Austin Ziegler <halostatue@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > Mr Vallner's comments about the project being asleep are, frankly, out
> > of line and based on expecting that Curt has time to update the news
> > on the RubyForge site saying "no, no news yet!" every day just so that
> > people think that the project is still active.

Sorry guys, I would have jumped in sooner, but I was without a
computer last night.

This like a Homer Simpson "doh!" moment for me -- of course I should
update the installer's home page and post a RubyForge news item... I
can't believe I didn't think of that.

Anyway, my goal is to have the new installer out by the end of January.

Curt
04d307955fbee7c9d6a6b7aed8159858?d=identicon&s=25 Ralph "PJPizza" Siegler (Guest)
Besides, the google groups for a query "ruby windows one-click 1.8.4"
gave
 me exacly  ONE message which explained that it would likely be a few
weeks
 before a Ruby 1.8.4 could be built.

So, I don't see how someone would know that it's been "talked to death"
or
even that it was being considered.

That said, I've very thankful for the 1.8 one-click install of ruby,
it's
been very useful to me in conjunction with rubyscript2exe for building
applications for clients (software migration/deployment apps)
 and also in my company's demo lab for the
client side of clusters we've built.

thanks to Andy, Curt, Mark, Matt, Steve of the one-click
and to Erik of the Ruby->exe

Ralph "PJPizza" Siegler
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 15:14:26 +0100, Alan Garrison <alang@cronosys.com>
wrote:

> copy on the Rubyforge project page to, if needed put it in big honking
> 72 point blinking font characters, point new folks directly to the news
> page as not everyone may see the "Project Home Page" link.

The investigative mind will note that according to the revision history
of
RubyInstallerNews, that was aded there TODAY, after most of this
discussion went by. I could also start quoting some webpage design rules
that state about showing the most essential content on the most obvious
locations. And there's no way in hell you can prove the first google
result for "ruby one click installer" isn't a location obvious enough.

Mwah. What a waste of bandwidth. If you have to be sarcastically smug at
other people, at least double-check you're not making the same mistake
they did.

David Vallner
David Vallner wrote:

> If you have to be sarcastically smug at
> other people, at least double-check you're not making the same mistake
> they did.

Uh, you replying to the correct person?  I wasn't trying to be smug at
all.  I was merely trying to suggest a solution given the fact that the
question gets asked on this list *over and over*.
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 23:14:04 +0100, Alan Garrison <alang@cronosys.com>
wrote:

> Uh, you replying to the correct person?  I wasn't trying to be smug at
> all.  I was merely trying to suggest a solution given the fact that the
> question gets asked on this list *over and over*.

That news article on the wiki / project page didn't quite exist until
today afternoon, if I understood the revision log right, which actually
was my original point in the whole issue. As to the snag, I'm getting
slightly paranoid and defensive it seems. My apologies.

David Vallner
Who should switch to decaf
2cef22e5d84ec3cdc107a5f9f97537e5?d=identicon&s=25 Todd (Guest)
Ralph "PJPizza" Siegler wrote:

> Ralph "PJPizza" Siegler
Yes, thanks guys.  Pretty impressive work.

Todd (wasting bandwidth)
2af5f7d824822ccf9304b670cc3ce984?d=identicon&s=25 tokmak tokmak (Guest)
i, too, want to take this oportunity to thank to one-click guys. Thank
you, very much! I understood the value of this project better when i
had to manually compile/install ruby to my  linux :)
I show ruby to my programmer (and non-programmer) friends in every
oportunity. With one-click installer, i install ruby to their machines
in seconds and write a sample program in minutes and impress them :D