Forum: Ruby WEBrick Issue with IE: Page Not Found, Cannot Connect to Ser

E0dce7396aa4c8a8497bfc5d46807095?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
I'm working on a Ruby on Rails project. I had a catastrophic notebook
failure earlier this week so I moved everything over to a new machine.
I installed a new version of Ruby, Rails, WATIR, Eclipse, and
everything else I need and I am experiencing a problem that none of our
other 3 development machines had.
When I fire up WEBrick from either a command prompt or my external tool
menu in Eclipse, it seems to load up fine and I can hit my Rails app in
Firefox from my machine and from other computers.
I can't use Internet Explorer to connect to WEBrick! localhost:3000,
127.0.0.1:3000, nothing works. Firefox responds beautifully to both
addresses on port 3000.
Now I did notice a behavior I don't fully understand: When I navigate
to localhost:3000 it replaces the value in the address bar with
local:3000.
I'm all kinds of confused about this problem. It manifests in a number
of ways, and I am open to the possibility that this may be several
problems coming up all together.
If I use Firefox I can browse to WEBrick running on other computers in
addition to my local instance. If I use IE on this machine, I can't hit
my own WEBrick, and I can't hit the WEBrick of the other developer's
machine. I can't use IE on another machine and hit my local instance of
WEBrick here, but I can use Firefox on another machine and connect to
it.
What can I do to make IE play nicely with WEBrick?
Thanks!
Jonathan
franksjonathan@gmail.com wrote:

> Now I did notice a behavior I don't fully understand: When I navigate
> to localhost:3000 it replaces the value in the address bar with
> local:3000.

Try clearing the IE cache.  See about turning off auto-completion of
URLs, too.

Also try an explicit protocol prefix:

   http://127.0.0.1:3000

And consider adding an entry to your hosts file

   127.0.0.1 www.example.com

and trying it with that bogus domain:

http://www.example.com:3000

If you have something like wget, fetch the page and inspect the headers
to see if anything looks odd.

James

6828ffc79486cd2442714bf32286a910?d=identicon&s=25 Vivek (Guest)
you will get a better answer at the rails list.
but the behaviour you observe is strange..IE replaces localhost to
local? never heard of this!
E0dce7396aa4c8a8497bfc5d46807095?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
The explicit protocol seems to have done it! I can connect with
http://127.0.0.1:3000.
Thanks a lot, James. Work may resume as normal.