Forum: Ruby Fast Ruby Debugger?

D5fa38c6dc1cd61b01397e11b30425d7?d=identicon&s=25 Joseph Moore (Guest)
Hi all --

I originally sent this to ruby-core but had suggestions that I mail it
ruby-talk as well.  So, here it goes:

After developing in Java for years in IDEs I'm starving for a decent
ruby
debugger.  When learning new codebasesI find it invaluable to use the
debugger to step through the system and see how things work at runtime.
Using RDT in Eclipse is fine but it's excruciating to wait minutes for
the
default debugger to finally reach my breakpoints on tests that normally
take
seconds to run.

Does anyone have for either speeding up the debugger or dropping in a
faster
version?

I've tried to profile debug.rb by adding "require 'profile'" to it but
all
of the time shows up in the "#toplevel" element, so advice on
deconstructing
that into something meaningful would be great, too.

Thanks,

-- Joe
Af95bdaf87958c40150b813e94381bfd?d=identicon&s=25 Christer Nilsson (christer)
on 2006-01-11 18:01
Check out ArachnoRuby!

Christer
On Jan 11, 2006, at 8:57 AM, Joseph Moore wrote:

> I originally sent this to ruby-core but had suggestions that I mail
> it to
> ruby-talk as well.  So, here it goes:
> [...]
> Does anyone have for either speeding up the debugger or dropping in
> a faster
> version?

said ruby-core mail also told you to check out zendebug in ZenHacks.
C475cffda1800fbc3f3af17bc10c220f?d=identicon&s=25 Curt Hibbs (Guest)
On 1/11/06, Christer Nilsson <janchrister.nilsson@gmail.com> wrote:
> Check out ArachnoRuby!

Yes, ArachnoRuby is currently the fastest graphical debugger for Ruby.

Curt
Dba0cb4cdad3b8e3b7ed0fddff5d20a5?d=identicon&s=25 Stephen Kellett (Guest)
In message
<3ffb4dc30601110856n4bd579bbgc1a8d8c751278022@mail.gmail.com>, Joseph
Moore <joe.moore@gmail.com> writes
>After developing in Java for years in IDEs I'm starving for a decent ruby
>debugger.  When learning new codebasesI find it invaluable to use the
>debugger to step through the system and see how things work at runtime.

For a debugger you should check ArachnoRuby at
http://www.scriptolutions.com

Since you show interest in seeing various values at runtime you may also
be interested in a flow tracer. If you are also interested in a flow
tracer you may want to look at Ruby Bug Validator at
http://www.softwareverify.com

Stephen