Forum: Ruby on Rails UK Rates for RoR Contract work?

66247570dbe0c350a165cdabc2769ba1?d=identicon&s=25 Paul Robinson (Guest)
on 2006-01-11 01:00
Hi all,

I've been offered a short-term contract here in the North of England -
around 3 months work, but with RoR I think it will take considerably
less time - and am just curious what market rates were right now.

I've been offered a little under £1k/week which seems 'right' for a PHP
coder doing this kind of work, but should I be hitting for more, or is
this a fair offer?

Also, how much RoR work is there out for short term contracts like this?
I'm out on my own now and wondering whether I should be pushing for this
kind of work a lot more.

Paul Robinson
B84d42a3a5c343f8fc6ab7d7f47fd3f5?d=identicon&s=25 Robby Russell (Guest)
On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 01:00 +0100, Paul Robinson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been offered a short-term contract here in the North of England -
> around 3 months work, but with RoR I think it will take considerably
> less time - and am just curious what market rates were right now.
>
> I've been offered a little under £1k/week which seems 'right' for a PHP
> coder doing this kind of work, but should I be hitting for more, or is
> this a fair offer?

You should be charging what you feel is right.

> Also, how much RoR work is there out for short term contracts like this?

I don't think that there is any real good way to measure this. I know
that we're booked pretty heavily at PLANET ARGON... and I've heard the
same from some freelancers.

> I'm out on my own now and wondering whether I should be pushing for this
> kind of work a lot more.

We're hiring in Portland, Oregon... might be a little too far of a
commute. ;-)

http://www.planetargon.com/jobs.html

Cheers,

-Robby

--
/**************************************************************
* Robby Russell, Founder & Executive Director                 *

I wrote about it at
http://jroller.com/page/obie?entry=productivity_arbitrage
D23f436b8e718e80f447712cdac67083?d=identicon&s=25 Amr Malik (amrmalik)
on 2006-01-11 02:43
Obie Fernandez wrote:
> If you're confident, propose a 'fixed-bid' deliverable at a price they
> would expect, then deliver it significantly sooner -- big profit to
> you!
>
> I wrote about it at
> http://jroller.com/page/obie?entry=productivity_arbitrage

With fixed bids ya gotta have iron-clad scope. Otherwise you might have
to eat the delta cost if the client decides to stick you with expanded
scope not accounted for in the contract.. hehe (this is not from a rails
client BTW, just ERP consulting experience in general talking here :)

-Amr
D046cca1a33655b6285065ec89711389?d=identicon&s=25 Lance Ball (Guest)
On 1/10/06, Robby Russell <robby.lists@planetargon.com> wrote:

> We're hiring in Portland, Oregon... might be a little too far of a
> commute. ;-)
>
> http://www.planetargon.com/jobs.html

Just curious - your job posting says:

"We know you know Ruby, but ideal candidates should also honor best
practices such as refactoring, TDD and version control."

What IDE do you use with RoR that supports refactoring?  I have come
from the land of Java and was heavy into refactoring with IntelliJ
IDEA.  After spending a few months with Rails and Textmate, I started
to think I'd just have to live without refactoring support.  And of
course, with dynamically typed languages like Ruby, you've got far
fewer refactorings available to you (or at least their a lot harder to
implement).  So, what IDE and what kinds of refactoring do you use
with Ruby?

--
Lance Ball
http://skimcoat.blogspot.com
On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 22:17 -0500, Lance Ball wrote:
> "We know you know Ruby, but ideal candidates should also honor best
> practices such as refactoring, TDD and version control."
>
> What IDE do you use with RoR that supports refactoring?

We don't view Refactoring as something you point and click your way
to. ;-)

At this level.. we suggest rdoc, a fun editor, and grep when
necessary. :-)

-Robby

--
/**************************************************************
On Tuesday 10 January 2006 08:43 pm, Amr Malik wrote:
> scope not accounted for in the contract.. hehe (this is not from a rails
> client BTW, just ERP consulting experience in general talking here :)
>
> -Amr

Yeah, I've had some buddies who really got the shaft fixed bidding. No
matter
what they say, they'll want more, and on your dime. The other thing,
estimating the darned things right takes a huge amount of time you don't
get
paid for.

I've found that if you work for a reasonable rate, and then turn it in
much
quicker, you get hired for more stuff, and soon you raise your rates.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author:
   * Universal Troubleshooting Process courseware
   * Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful Technologist
   * Rapid Learning: Secret Weapon of the Successful Technologist
Webmaster
   * Troubleshooters.Com
   * http://www.troubleshooters.com

(Legal Disclaimer) Follow these suggestions at your own risk.