Forum: Ruby on Rails [OT] Where do you find good designers for your RoR projects?

2ae55f9578262d07b3ff8b0fea7f1bf1?d=identicon&s=25 Ean (Guest)

Nowadays, the design of an application is nearly as important as its
functionality.
But - most good programmers are not automatically skilled designers.
Especially when it comes to the creation of fancy icons or small
illustrations.

So, where do you find good and affordable designers and illustrators for
your commercial (rails) projects ?

Cheers,
Ean
4710a8ada2adc162aaee4288d9879d8e?d=identicon&s=25 Gerard (Guest)
What geographical area?

GrtzG

On Tuesday 10 January 2006 14:51, Ean tried to type something like:

--
"Who cares if it doesn't do anything?  It was made with our new
Triple-Iso-Bifurcated-Krypton-Gate-MOS process ..."

My $Grtz =~ Gerard;
~
:wq!
A0ff85672de505e7bfa2fe17e85581cc?d=identicon&s=25 Paulus Esterhazy (Guest)
> Hi,
>
> Nowadays, the design of an application is nearly as important as its
> functionality.
I couldn't agree more. Fortunately so, if I may add.

> So, where do you find good and affordable designers and illustrators for
> your commercial (rails) projects ?

An equally interesting question: Where does one find such for a free
software project? I have some very interesting ideas in mind. Finding
talented and enthusiastic developers is reasonably easy. But where does
one go to find someone with aesthetic skills and some design experience
(as opposed to a mere understanding of css)? It's not like there's
nothing in it for designers - being able to say "I did the design for
such or such successful project" should be worth _something_.

So is this a problem because there are no volunteers available, or is it
a matter of free-software "social networking" (finding the right forum)?

Apologies if this is considered thread hijacking :>

Cheers,
Paulus