Forum: Ruby XEmacs Indentation Broken?

9ba852bc58ecf0ef02897497a13a8288?d=identicon&s=25 AlexG (Guest)

Just started working with a new Ubuntu box and something wierd is going
on with XEmacs ruby support. The automatic indentation (hitting tab on
the line I want indented or selecting by region) works right up till I
put in a statement using the =~ operator and a regular expression and
then it fails for every line afterwards (just using a regular
expression doesn't break it nor does something like 'foo =~ bar').
E.g.:

<code>
class Foo #auto-identation works here
  "OK!"
end
class Bar #And here
  /^(\S+)/
end
class Utterly
  foo =~ /bar/ #but not after this line
end

foo.each do |loop_var|
loop #no autoidentation here
end
</code>

My XEmacs version is:

XEmacs 21.4 (patch 17) "Jumbo Shrimp" [Lucid] (i386-debian-linux, Mule)
of Sun Oct  9 2005 on rothera

With ruby-mode-el Revision: 1.74.2.11

It works fine on my OSX laptop which has XEmacs 21.4 (patch 15) and
ruby-mode revision 1.25.2.11. I tried moving the ruby-mode.el file from
the laptop to the Ubuntu box but it makes no difference. I was hoping
to avoid having to downgrade XEmacs itself. Any (X)Emacs gurus out
there can advise?

Thanks

Alex Gutteridge
081edbad394127e1aa5b923b0d5804a5?d=identicon&s=25 Tim Heaney (Guest)
"AlexG" <alexg@ebi.ac.uk> writes:

> Just started working with a new Ubuntu box and something wierd is going
> on with XEmacs ruby support. The automatic indentation (hitting tab on
> the line I want indented or selecting by region) works right up till I
> put in a statement using the =~ operator and a regular expression and
> then it fails for every line afterwards (just using a regular
> expression doesn't break it nor does something like 'foo =~ bar').

I can't duplicate this problem on my machine. I am using

  XEmacs 21.4 (patch 18) "Social Property" [Lucid]
  (x86_64-redhat-linux, Mule) of Mon Dec  5 2005 on
hammer3.fedora.redhat.com

with ruby-mode 1.25.2.11. Both tab and C-M-\ indented your example.

> It works fine on my OSX laptop which has XEmacs 21.4 (patch 15) and
> ruby-mode revision 1.25.2.11. I tried moving the ruby-mode.el file from
> the laptop to the Ubuntu box but it makes no difference. I was hoping
> to avoid having to downgrade XEmacs itself.

Perhaps an upgrade to 21.4 (patch 18) instead?

Tim
9ba852bc58ecf0ef02897497a13a8288?d=identicon&s=25 AlexG (Guest)
Thanks for checking. It looks like it must be something odd in my
setup. I'll investigate further...
AlexG wrote:

>Thanks for checking. It looks like it must be something odd in my
>setup. I'll investigate further...

Happens, check your init files.

I'm currently in the process of commenting out single lines of those
between XEmacs restarts to hunt down whatever causes XEmacs open each
new buffer in silent overwrite mode (nothing shown in that bar thingie
above the minibuffer). *bangs head against wall to switch sources of
pain*

David Vallner
D2fc40c5527da8c6ede7703f5fb23d1d?d=identicon&s=25 Geoff Jacobsen (Guest)
On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 09:38 +0900, AlexG wrote:
> Thanks for checking. It looks like it must be something odd in my
> setup. I'll investigate further...

No it happens to me too (has for a long while) on numerous boxes and
versions of Emacs.

I run GNU Emacs 21.4.1 and cvs HEAD. I don't believe it has anything to
do with Emacs but with the version of ruby-mode.

I also run Breezy Ubuntu GNU/Linux and the version of the deb containing
ruby-mode is: ruby1.8-elisp_1.8.2-9ubuntu1_all.deb

I will try with other versions of ruby-mode and see if they fix the
problem.