Forum: Ruby on Rails Fast Ruby Debugger?

D5fa38c6dc1cd61b01397e11b30425d7?d=identicon&s=25 Joseph Moore (Guest)
After developing in Java for years in IDEs I'm starving for a decent
ruby
debugger.  When learning new codebasesI find it invaluable to use the
debugger to step through the system and see how things work at runtime.
Using RDT in Eclipse is fine but it's excruciating to wait minutes for
the
default debugger to finally reach my breakpoints on tests that normally
take
seconds to run.

Does anyone have for either speeding up the debugger or dropping in a
faster
version?

I've tried to profile debug.rb by adding "require 'profile'" to it but
all
of the time shows up in the "#toplevel" element, so advice on
deconstructing
that into something meaningful would be great, too.

Thanks,

-- Joe
F734b6ca0eb2ebd01744224437a72498?d=identicon&s=25 Harm de Laat (Guest)
I have the same problem. Not much of a help for now, my hopes are on the
radrails project: http://www.radrails.org.
They have debugging support scheduled for v0.7

Regards,

Harm de Laat
C475cffda1800fbc3f3af17bc10c220f?d=identicon&s=25 Curt Hibbs (Guest)
Try ArachnoRuby. Its got the fastest debugger out there:

  http://www.ruby-ide.com/ruby/ruby_ide_and_ruby_editor.php

Curt
Fdb75dcc7b1163a9c84532122907e45b?d=identicon&s=25 Yang Jdong (adong)
on 2006-01-09 13:22
Curt Hibbs wrote:
> Try ArachnoRuby. Its got the fastest debugger out there:
>
>   http://www.ruby-ide.com/ruby/ruby_ide_and_ruby_editor.php
>
> Curt

but it isnot free.
On 09/01/06, yang jdong <yangfreecode@gmail.com> wrote:
> Curt Hibbs wrote:
> > Try ArachnoRuby. Its got the fastest debugger out there:
> >
> >   http://www.ruby-ide.com/ruby/ruby_ide_and_ruby_editor.php
> but it isnot free.

If you're making money doing Rails development and feel that you
actually *need* a debugger, ArachnoRuby isn't expensive, either.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com
               * Alternate: austin@halostatue.ca
> I have the same problem. Not much of a help for now, my hopes are on the
> radrails project: http://www.radrails.org.
> They have debugging support scheduled for v0.7

RadRails' debugging support is coming from RDT, the same RDT Joseph
complained about in his e-mail. ;)

> Regards,
>
> Harm de Laat

Sincerely,

Tom Lieber
http://AllTom.com/
http://GadgetLife.org/
8acba6d057b3f0c2c16cca95ad36881b?d=identicon&s=25 Bakki Kudva (bakki)
Hi Curt,

If you or anyone else on the list is using ArachnoRuby could you please
tell
me if it will let you step through rails code? If so that would go a
long
way for me to learn the internals of Rails. Also can you see routing in
action? I'd also like to know if you break into your controller code
will
you be able to see session or params variables? Their web site
unfortunately
is mum about rails.

Something else which might be useful to the list might be a comparison
of
Arachno ruby vs. Komodo. Thank you,

-bakki
On 1/10/06, Bakki Kudva <bakki.kudva@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Curt,
>
> If you or anyone else on the list is using ArachnoRuby could you please tell
> me if it will let you step through rails code? If so that would go a long
> way for me to learn the internals of Rails. Also can you see routing in
> action? I'd also like to know if you break into your controller code will
> you be able to see session or params variables? Their web site unfortunately
> is mum about rails.

I haven't used it yet with Rails. I'm sure others have and can share
their experiences.

Curt
455ac2a64d06dc8461f4d258d7f7e980?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Trier (Guest)
I've used it for rails.  I understand that the version you have can make
difference on how easy it is to setup.  I did the trick where you rename
script to script.rb and attach to the process.  It works quite well.
What's
amazing about the debugger is that it is really fast.  On top of that,
it
provides tons of information, whether you're in the view, model, or
controller.  It took me about a day to get comfortable with it.  Other
than
the debugger I do not really care for the look and feel of the product.
Now
if I could have that debugger in the RadRails interface, that would be
the
ticket.  Certainly check it out.  I also find stepping through a
debugger a
great learning tool.

Michael Trier
D23f436b8e718e80f447712cdac67083?d=identicon&s=25 Amr Malik (amrmalik)
on 2006-01-12 01:31
Michael Trier wrote:
> I've used it for rails.  I understand that the version you have can make
> difference on how easy it is to setup.  I did the trick where you rename
> script to script.rb and attach to the process.  It works quite well.
> What's
> amazing about the debugger is that it is really fast.  On top of that,
> it
> provides tons of information, whether you're in the view, model, or
> controller.  It took me about a day to get comfortable with it.  Other
> than
> the debugger I do not really care for the look and feel of the product.
> Now
> if I could have that debugger in the RadRails interface, that would be
> the
> ticket.  Certainly check it out.  I also find stepping through a
> debugger a
> great learning tool.
>
> Michael Trier

Thanks for the info Michael. You alluded to the fact that certain
version play nicer with Rails. Do you know which version works best with
Rails? Do you have any of your encounters somewhere online (starting up
and getting it going with rails?)

Totally agree that there's nothing like stepping through the code with a
good debugger.. I yearn for gdb equivalent for ruby/rails.. :)

Thanks for any hints regarding this,

Amr
D23f436b8e718e80f447712cdac67083?d=identicon&s=25 Amr Malik (amrmalik)
on 2006-01-12 01:34
Amr Malik wrote:
> Michael Trier wrote:
.... snip....
> Thanks for any hints regarding this,
>
> Amr

oh well, the OSX version isn't out yet. The search continues!

-Amr
455ac2a64d06dc8461f4d258d7f7e980?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Trier (Guest)
Sorry for the delay in replying.  I'm not on that computer right now
so I'm not sure of version, but I believe 0.6.1.  If you look at this
wiki page and follow it you should be good to go:

http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/How+To+Use...

Make sure you ignore all the stuff at the top and just go to the part
that says "A second and maybe simpler way?"  That's essentially what I
did and didn't have problems.

You indicated OSX so maybe this is no help to you since their OSX
version isn't out.