Forum: Ruby compiling from the svn repository

B389820ea2e2ee4f166930dea947a303?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
Ok, so this might be a stupid question, but I just got the latest ruby
from the cvs repo and I can't find 'configure' in there ? So how am I
suppose to compile ? I am puzzled...

Note that I got the src from cvs using:
$ cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.ruby-lang.org:/src login
$ cvs -z4 -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.ruby-lang.org:/src co ruby
(I am following the instruction given on the ruby home page, when you
click on 'cvs repositories')

Now, how exactly am I suppose to compile now (usually a simple
'./configure; make; make install' works fine...), but 'configure'
doesn't seem to be in the cvs rep. Am I missing something ?

thanks for your help.

-Didier

ps: now why would I ever want to compile from the cvs repo directly ?
well, I just got 1.8.4 and 80 tests are failing (I am on os x 10.4.3),
so maybe the cvs repo has some patches...
4b38034fdb66886a91d55fcd12964cee?d=identicon&s=25 Erik Veenstra (Guest)
> Ok, so this might be a stupid question, but I just got the
> latest ruby from the cvs repo and I can't find 'configure' in
> there ? So how am I suppose to compile ? I am puzzled...

 $ vi README
 /configure
 :q
 $ autoconf
 $ ./configure
 $ make
 # make install

gegroet,
Erik V. - http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/
On 1/7/06, Erik Veenstra <pan@erikveen.dds.nl> wrote:
> > Ok, so this might be a stupid question, but I just got the
> > latest ruby from the cvs repo and I can't find 'configure' in
> > there ? So how am I suppose to compile ? I am puzzled...
>
>  $ vi README
>  /configure
>  :q
>  $ autoconf

Just for clarification, autoconf is a program that generates a
configure script. It usually processes a file called configure.in (and
others).
B389820ea2e2ee4f166930dea947a303?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
Oh my god, I feel like such a newbie, that's not even funny...
Thanks for your help gegroet.

Oh, and btw, the 80 failing tests I was getting on 1.8.4 are also
failing with the cvs code. All related to drb... Not that much of a big
deal since I don't use drb, but a little disturbing still...

-Didier
8c29c0373ef64e5c3a607d8a961439b6?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
> Oh, and btw, the 80 failing tests I was getting on 1.8.4
> are also failing with the cvs code. All related to drb...

I was playing around with the same thing over the weekend and found
that when my firewall was turned on I get errors as well.  I turned the
firewall off and removed my ethernet connection and got only two
errors.  When I have my firewall off and my ethernet connected
everything in "make test-all" passes.

Bill