Forum: Ruby on Rails Question

D7abb403440cbbf104b435ea9427d3f2?d=identicon&s=25 Patrick Lurlay (Guest)
All,
   I am looking to write an ecommerce application and debating using
rails or struts.  Any advice as to which path to follow.
6edd67c92a1dab5eb23fed79f3c18564?d=identicon&s=25 David Heinemeier Hansson (Guest)
> All,
>    I am looking to write an ecommerce application and debating using
> rails or struts.  Any advice as to which path to follow.

Use Rails :)

Since that's the obvious bias on this list, it's hard to say anything
else without additional context. So I'm going to interpret the request
as just looking for a confirmation that its cool to do e-commerce in
Rails.

For examples of other e-commerce apps done in Rails, see
http://rubyonrails.org/applications
--
David Heinemeier Hansson
http://www.basecamphq.com   -- Online project management

> For examples of other e-commerce apps done in Rails, see
> http://rubyonrails.org/applications

I think Davids interpretation of the question is probably right.

However, I wanted to add a question of my own. If you didn't want to
use Rails, why in the world would you want to use Struts? There are
much better J2EE choices than Struts.

Curt
F1d64cbc1bfd9752cb18b73797f9d66c?d=identicon&s=25 Anders Engström (Guest)
on 2006-01-07 00:27
Curt Hibbs wrote:
> On 1/6/06, David Heinemeier Hansson <david.heinemeier@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> For examples of other e-commerce apps done in Rails, see
>> http://rubyonrails.org/applications
>
> I think Davids interpretation of the question is probably right.
>
> However, I wanted to add a question of my own. If you didn't want to
> use Rails, why in the world would you want to use Struts? There are
> much better J2EE choices than Struts.

There is, indeed.

If the Rails Way won't do it for you, have a look at Spring WebFlow.

//Anders
0091f92762685860109bbcb02edfdf27?d=identicon&s=25 Alain Ravet (Guest)
Patrick

    > Any advice as to which path to follow.

Start by rewriting your  message subject (in a new thread).
With 400+ messages a day in this forum, people who have life skim the
list based on the message subject, and you may have lost valuable
opinions there.

I wonder how I came to read your message actually, but that's another
"Question".

Alain
Eea7ad39737b0dbf3de38874e0a6c7d8?d=identicon&s=25 Justin Forder (Guest)
Curt Hibbs wrote:

[Patrick Lurlay wrote:]

>>> All, I am looking to write an ecommerce application and
 >>> debating using rails or struts.  Any advice as to which
 >>> path to follow.

> If you didn't want to use Rails, why in the world would you
 > want to use Struts? There are much better J2EE choices than
 > Struts.

Go on Curt, tell us your preference!

   Justin
On 1/7/06, Justin Forder <justin@justinforder.me.uk> wrote:
>  > Struts.
>
> Go on Curt, tell us your preference!

If I were forced to do so, I'd probably use Spring, Hibernate, and
Tapestry.

Curt
Curt Hibbs wrote:

> If I were forced to do so, I'd probably use Spring, Hibernate, and Tapestry.

Those are good choices, and I would certainly go with the Spring and
Hibernate parts... while Tapestry is better than Struts, I can't see it
ever achieving the dominance that Struts has had over the last five
years. I work with projects for large banks and insurance companies, and
  - in my view - it's a difficult time to make a new strategic choice.

thanks!

   Justin