Forum: Ruby on Rails how do I create a change password using sha1?

33478bbfbd0e2bf2737eca60a555af76?d=identicon&s=25 Frank (Guest)
Hello,

The problem I am having is I have a form where a user can edit their
data that does not include their password.

I have another form that I allow them to change their password.

Both forms use the before_update method that hashes the password. There
is no password in the first form.

Am I making this too complicated?
How do I call the hash_password for only the second form?
Both forms use the user model.

Thanks

Frank
93aea4ff5331ee2c926cebd8df6be579?d=identicon&s=25 Jm Mc (railsnewb)
Has anyone used this system in order to create Admin
and Regular user roles? I haven't figured out how to
give a regular user access to more than one action.
Say, they log-in, and can go to controller/action -
but ONLY one as that is all the database table seems
to allow for....anyone know how to fix this?

Here is a link to the system.
http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/LoginGener...

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com
C8a634a01a2c4508360874bff7fb1a7f?d=identicon&s=25 Kevin Olbrich (Guest)
on 2006-01-06 18:14
JM MC wrote:
> Has anyone used this system in order to create Admin
> and Regular user roles? I haven't figured out how to
> give a regular user access to more than one action.
> Say, they log-in, and can go to controller/action -
> but ONLY one as that is all the database table seems
> to allow for....anyone know how to fix this?
>
> Here is a link to the system.
> http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/LoginGener...

I've been using the user/login_engine system with good success.  It can
be a little tricky to set up if you don't follow the directions, but it
works well.

That system allows you to limit access to any controller/action pair in
your system to users with any number of roles.

http://rails-engines.org/

_Kevin
93aea4ff5331ee2c926cebd8df6be579?d=identicon&s=25 Jm Mc (railsnewb)
I tried using this but had trouble getting it
installed.
Running ruby/script/plugin install login_engine gave
me a
"ruby: no such file or directory -- script/plugin
error"

Have any trouble installing the engine/plugin?

--- Kevin Olbrich <kevin.olbrich@duke.edu> wrote:

> seems
> > to allow for....anyone know how to fix this?
> >
> > Here is a link to the system.

http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/LoginGener...
> your system to users with any number of roles.

You're definitely using Rails 1.0? Have you managed to install any
other plugins?

- james
93aea4ff5331ee2c926cebd8df6be579?d=identicon&s=25 Jm Mc (railsnewb)
I do have Rails 1.0 and I don't think I've installed a
plugin before, no... I quickly looked on the RoR site
for documentation on installing a plug in but didn't
find anything.

--- James Adam <james.adam@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Running ruby/script/plugin install login_engine
> > > seems

http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/LoginGener...
> > > That system allows you to limit access to any
> > > Rails mailing list

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com
C8a634a01a2c4508360874bff7fb1a7f?d=identicon&s=25 Kevin Olbrich (Guest)
on 2006-01-06 19:08
I seem to recall that I had to give the plugin install script the Url
for the SVN repository to get it to work.  Look in the rails plugin wiki
page for the address.

You will need to install the 'engines', 'login_engine', and
'user_engine'.

If you have a user model, make sure it follows the 'UserController'
(singluar) convention rather than the 'UsersController' (plural)
convention.  It will save you endless headaches.

_Kevin
132a94ca65959bda6c74fae54bff2425?d=identicon&s=25 Ezra Zygmuntowicz (Guest)
On Jan 6, 2006, at 9:49 AM, James Adam wrote:

>> "ruby: no such file or directory -- script/plugin
>> error"

You need ro run it like this:

$ ruby  script/plugin install login_engine

and you might need to do a

$ script/plugin discover

to get an updated plugin listsing.

But calling the command like you did above is why you are getting an
error.

Cheers-
-EZra

>>> controller/action pair in