Forum: Ruby on Rails Switchtower for distribution?

8c49880a7f274947b01d576c5828a5f6?d=identicon&s=25 Lon Baker (spdemac)
on 2006-01-05 21:55
I am just about to dive into Switchtower, but had a thought (go
figure?).

Could Switchtower use be inverted?

Could user, clients, or customers install switchtower and "pull"
applications?

Just a thought.
992fe8c19bbbc27f2b562a9f96efc03d?d=identicon&s=25 Jamis Buck (Guest)
On Jan 5, 2006, at 1:55 PM, Lon Baker wrote:

> I am just about to dive into Switchtower, but had a thought (go
> figure?).
>
> Could Switchtower use be inverted?
>
> Could user, clients, or customers install switchtower and "pull"
> applications?
>
> Just a thought.

Not with the current implementation, but it wouldn't be hard to fix
the transfer.rb module so that SFTP can be used both ways. Still, I
think something like subversion is better suited for this, and
optimized for this situation, too.

- Jamis
8c49880a7f274947b01d576c5828a5f6?d=identicon&s=25 Lon Baker (spdemac)
on 2006-01-05 22:59
Jamis Buck wrote:
> On Jan 5, 2006, at 1:55 PM, Lon Baker wrote:
>
> Not with the current implementation, but it wouldn't be hard to fix
> the transfer.rb module so that SFTP can be used both ways. Still, I
> think something like subversion is better suited for this, and
> optimized for this situation, too.
>
> - Jamis

I was thinking of using Switchtower as a distribution mechanism for a
couple for a few reasons.

If the clients machine has Ruby and Rubygem, we can walk them through
the setting everything up.

A lot of clients have no clue about how to pull using subversion, and
then update a running Rails application.

I am just diving into Switchtower this week, and will see if my
assumptions are wrong. But I think it could be a pretty interesting tool
to use for distribution of rapidly evolving applications.

Thanks for the great tool!
4b9ebad5fe52ce89dc12aaf34502d518?d=identicon&s=25 Sanford SV (Guest)
I think Lon is onto something with the 'pull-deploy' idea.  Most corp
environments are pull-only.  Having a clever way to get switchtower to
have a polling schedule to check for outstanding deployments sounds
pretty useful...
8c49880a7f274947b01d576c5828a5f6?d=identicon&s=25 Lon Baker (spdemac)
on 2006-01-06 18:43
Sanford SV wrote:
> I think Lon is onto something with the 'pull-deploy' idea.  Most corp
> environments are pull-only.  Having a clever way to get switchtower to
> have a polling schedule to check for outstanding deployments sounds
> pretty useful...

Exactly. I have spent that few weeks logging into clients servers,
helping them install updates, migrate configuration information, etc.

If there was a tool to handle this process from the customers end,
elegantly and efficiently, it could really be an benefit to deploy
Rails/Switchtower.