Forum: Ruby on Rails [ANN] Instant Rails 1.0 Final has been released!

4c3511a439ed90fa012a55928a60e230?d=identicon&s=25 Curt Hibbs (Guest)
This release is unchanged from release candidate 1 other than to update
the
version number in the Help>>About dialog.

Instant Rails is a one-stop Rails runtime solution containing Ruby,
Rails,
Apache, and MySQL, all preconfigured and ready to run. No installer, you
simply drop it into the directory of your choice and run it. It does not
modify your system environment. This release of Instant Rails is for
Windows, but there are plans for ports to Linux, BSD, and OSX.

The Instant Rails home page has links for downloading and getting
started
with Instant Rails:

http://instantrails.rubyforge.org/

If you already have Instant Rails installed, then be sure to read the
upgrade instructions:

http://instantrails.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?How...

============================
Instant Rails -- Change Log
============================

2006.01.05 Instant Rails 1.0 final

* Updated version in Help>>About dialog box to "1.0 final".

2006.01.03 Instant Rails 1.0 RC1

* Reverted Instant Rails Manager to use the file extension
  associations for editing config and log files and added
  an Instant Rails preference item to force the use of
  Notepad.exe (necessary if you have VMWare installed).

* Configure SCGI now initializes the dialog with the current
  settings instead of default values.

* Replaced One-Click Ruby Installer 1.8.2 with
  ruby-mswin32 1.8.4 (which is what 1.8.4 of the One-Click
  one-click installer will be built upon).

2005.12.24 Instant Rails 1.0 preview8

* Restored missing log directories in the sample apps.

2005.12.13 Instant Rails 1.0 preview7
           (preview6 was a bad release)

* Included Typo 2.6.0 as a sample app

* Included RedCloth 3.0.4, BlueCloth 1.0.0, and RubyPants 0.2.0
           (used as text formatters by Typo).

* Upgraded Rails to 1.0 final

* Instant Rails now detects being run from a directory path
  that containd spaces, issues a warning, and quits.

2005-11-08: Instant Rails 1.0 preview5

* Upgraded Rails to Rails 1.0: The Release Candidate 4 (aka 0.14.3)

2005-11-01: Instant Rails 1.0 preview4

* Added mysql\bin to the path in console windows.

2005-10-27: Instant Rails 1.0 preview3

* Upgraded Rails to Rails 1.0: The Release Candidate 3 (aka 0.14.2)

* Upgraded to SCGI Rails Runer 0.4.3

* Added "fxri" to the help menu.

* Fixed a problem where console windows were being opened in the
  wrong current directory. This meant that ruby\bin wasn't being
  put on the path which, in turn, meant you couldn't execute the
  "gem" or "rails" commands.

* Fixed several minor problems.

* Created this change log! Also, added a ToDo.txt file.
1b62a85b59ccab03b84ee5ec378f75b4?d=identicon&s=25 Steve Litt (Guest)
On Thursday 05 January 2006 12:00 pm, Curt Hibbs wrote:
> This release of Instant Rails is for
> Windows, but there are plans for ports to Linux, BSD, and OSX.

When?

SteveT

Steve Litt
http://www.troubleshooters.com
slitt@troubleshooters.com
C475cffda1800fbc3f3af17bc10c220f?d=identicon&s=25 Curt Hibbs (Guest)
On 1/5/06, Steve Litt <slitt@earthlink.net> wrote:
> On Thursday 05 January 2006 12:00 pm, Curt Hibbs wrote:
> > This release of Instant Rails is for
> > Windows, but there are plans for ports to Linux, BSD, and OSX.
>
> When?

Hard to say.

Like all open source projects, this is a volunteer effort and we all
have Families and day-jobs, too. A lot of it depends on how much help
we get (hint, hint).

The main task is rewriting the manager app that we forked from
EasyPHP. Its windows C++ app. We are rewriting it as a cross-platform
Rails app, and that effort is just now getting started.

Curt
Curt Hibbs wrote:

> Instant Rails is a one-stop Rails runtime solution containing Ruby,
> Rails, Apache, and MySQL, all preconfigured and ready to run. No
> installer, you simply drop it into the directory of your choice and
> run it. It does not modify your system environment. This release of
> Instant Rails is for Windows, but there are plans for ports to Linux,
> BSD, and OSX.

You're probably going to hate this question, but I have to ask it
anyhow. :) How difficult is it for someone to develop a Windows
server-based web application using Instant Rails, and then migrate the
database to SQL Server and the web server to IIS? I have an environment
where SQL Server and IIS are the default, although we do have Windows
Postgres and learning about/using Postgres is encouraged. MySQL and
Apache on a Windows server would annoy the people who write my
performance reviews :).

I think the application is a natural for Rails -- management of a
collection of decent-sized data files, loading and unloading them to a
database, executing analysis processes on them, archiving them, etc.
ActiveRecord seems like the tool of choice for this application -- the
view and analysis parts will probably be done with something else,
though.

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

http://linuxcapacityplanning.com
C475cffda1800fbc3f3af17bc10c220f?d=identicon&s=25 Curt Hibbs (Guest)
> anyhow. :) How difficult is it for someone to develop a Windows
> ActiveRecord seems like the tool of choice for this application -- the
> view and analysis parts will probably be done with something else, though.

I haven't done this myself, but there are a couple pages of Rails wiki
that explain how to do it:

  http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/HowtoSetupIIS
  http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/HowtoConne...

Curt
Curt Hibbs wrote:
> This release is unchanged from release candidate 1 other than to update the
> version number in the Help>>About dialog.

Curt, can you explain how I configure Instant Rails to run MySQL on a
port other that 3306?  The MySQL configuration option (from the "I"
menu) does not have a place to set a port.

Thanks,

James
On 1/15/06, James Britt <james_b@neurogami.com> wrote:
> Curt Hibbs wrote:
> > This release is unchanged from release candidate 1 other than to update the
> > version number in the Help>>About dialog.
>
> Curt, can you explain how I configure Instant Rails to run MySQL on a
> port other that 3306?  The MySQL configuration option (from the "I"
> menu) does not have a place to set a port.

When you're editing the MySQL config file (from the "I" menu, as you
stated above), add a line to the "[mysqld]" section:

  port=3344

or whatever port you like. Remember to set a matching "port: 3344" (or
whatever) your Rails app's database.yml

Curt
Curt Hibbs wrote:
> ..
>
> When you're editing the MySQL config file (from the "I" menu, as you
> stated above), add a line to the "[mysqld]" section:
>
>   port=3344
>
> or whatever port you like. Remember to set a matching "port: 3344" (or
> whatever) your Rails app's database.yml

Perfect.

Thanks!

James