Forum: Ruby Re: Numeric Maze (#60)

87e9a89c53ccf984db792113471c2171?d=identicon&s=25 Kroeger, Simon (ext) (Guest)
> The code is ugly, please turn down the light:

This was already true with the original (my) code
but is so annoying now that I would like to recommend:

Don't do that at home!

If you realy, realy need the additional 20% speed up
try to implement a clean C extension instead of abuse
ruby in such a way. (you will probably get a lot more
than 20%)

I know this was more like sport than the real life,
all I want to say is: this is not how ruby should
look like.

cheers

Simon
On Jan 5, 2006, at 8:07 AM, Kroeger, Simon (ext) wrote:

>> The code is ugly, please turn down the light:
>
> This was already true with the original (my) code
> but is so annoying now that I would like to recommend:
>
> Don't do that at home!

<laughs>

> If you realy, realy need the additional 20% speed up
> try to implement a clean C extension instead of abuse
> ruby in such a way. (you will probably get a lot more
> than 20%)
>
> I know this was more like sport than the real life,
> all I want to say is: this is not how ruby should
> look like.

Yeah, I have to agree.  The algorithm is generally the biggest change
you can make and worth doing in any language, but benchmarking
specific syntax is going too far, I think.  Ruby is right when it's
expressive, clear, and fast enough, in my opinion.

James Edward Gray II