Forum: Ruby win32-services - RPC server unavailable?

88dea4ee78b01aef165e911acf3d9c1c?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Mcbrearty (danmcb)
on 2006-01-04 17:29
Hi

Trying to get a ruby win32 service running on my winxp. Downloaded the
win32-installer from raa, it seemed to install OK. Then trying this
sample code:

require "win32/service"
   include Win32

   s = Service.new("some_machine")

when I run this I get "The RPC Server is unavailable
(Win32::ServiceError)

at the s = .. line.

Any ideas?

thanks

Daniel
4b174722d1b1a4bbd9672e1ab50c30a9?d=identicon&s=25 Ryan Leavengood (Guest)
On 1/4/06, Daniel McBrearty <danielmcbrearty@gmail.com> wrote:

> when I run this I get "The RPC Server is unavailable
> (Win32::ServiceError)
>
> at the s = .. line.
>
> Any ideas?

My suggestion would be to open the Windows Services console and make
sure the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service and/or the RPC Locator
service are running.

Ryan
88dea4ee78b01aef165e911acf3d9c1c?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Mcbrearty (danmcb)
on 2006-01-05 09:25
Thanks. I've done that. Both are running, but I have the same error. I
also tried a few different options in the logon section, same result.
Any other clues?
Aee77dba395ece0a04c688b05b07cd63?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Berger (Guest)
Daniel McBrearty wrote:
> Thanks. I've done that. Both are running, but I have the same error. I
> also tried a few different options in the logon section, same result.
> Any other clues?
>

> --

The "some_machine" is just a stub for whatever machine you want to
install it on, it isn't meant to be used literally.  If you just want
to install it on your local box, remove "some_machine", e.g. service =
Service.new.

Regards,

Dan
88dea4ee78b01aef165e911acf3d9c1c?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Mcbrearty (danmcb)
on 2006-01-06 10:24
thanks. I found out how to find the docs for this now ... :-)